SF/F Reading in June 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I started Deadhouse Gates last night.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Enjoying it so far?

3. Diziet Sma

Yes! These arguments à trois are hilarious.

I’m about 160 pages in, slow progress but purely because Banks doesn’t know the meaning of vacuousness (if this word exists) in his narrative. I find myself re-reading sections after losing briefly concentration. Besides, the story scope is huge, Banks keeps introducing new scenarios and characters. I’m not sure whether Excession will continue developing a kaleidoscopic plot or whether all the story lines will fall into place along the way.
    I’m also loving the Minds conversations but those pages full of their own script jargon could have been shortened as they make me crossed eye.
    Now, @Boreas I get your location reference to The Land of Infinite Fun!
    By the way, there are a few references to the Indiran war. I remember reading the same mentions in Use of Weapons and The Player of Games, am I missing something relevant to the story or is it simply some background Culture trivia?
    Ah! So far Fivetide is my favourite character.

4. Safari Bob

SO far so good. I'm only about 100 pages in or so but we have a good mix of new and old characters. I really like how Fiddler is developing into a force all his own; he seems to be developing into a sort of "every man" for the narrative while Crokus seems to be regressing into a petulant teen.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  5. Diziet Sma

I'm glad! I do want to read some fantasy very soon and The Malazan series is looking very appealing indeed. I also have Legend by D Gemmel, Earthsea Cycle series by Le Guin and Hawkwood's Voyage by Irish author P. Kearney. I read by him and really liked The Wolf in the Attic.
    Thank God schools break up in a couple of weeks!

Safari Bob likes this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

The Alien-Befriender, Colonol Fivetide Humidyear, is also my favourite biological character in the book. The various plot threads will fall into place. In terms of how much is going on and the many different perspectives, it's probably one of the more complex of the Culture novels aside from Use of Weapons, and those strings of code during the Mind-talk doesn't make it any easier. If I remember correctly, Banks does tone down on the code, but I like to read every letter! The whole pregnancy bit and her past is my least favourite plot thread, but I love the GSV Sleeper Service! And that crow that keeps the woman company is also fun. The Idiran War is just a reference detail, not important to the story except to point out that the Interesting Times Gang, a coterie of old, highly respected and capable Minds, have finally made an appearance after not being heard from for around half a millennium or so. Because of the OCP.

7. Diziet Sma

Thank you @Boreas!
    You are mad!;) As long as I have Churt Lyne translating, I'll manage...

8. Boreas

They aren't the same characters in Deadhouse Gates as the ones in Gardens of the Moon, right? I read GotM a long time ago and enjoyed it fine, but I lost all momentum to continue at the time and couldn't even get past the first 2o or so pages in DG, so I just stopped.

9. Safari Bob

Yeah, its a little disjointed and he spends quite a few pages just introducing new characters. So far, the only main characters from Gardens of the Moon in this book is Crockus (sp?), Kalam, Fiddler, and the girl Sorry (I forget how to spell her new name). But Paran's sisters are in it, one now as a slave and the other now as the new Adjunct. I didn't get a chance to read last night but I hope to make up for that tonight.

10. Boreas

I don't remember any characters from GotM. The only thing I hazily remember are some big battles with huge magical forces being deployed on both sides. Will have to give the series a proper go sometime. One person I know who mostly reads SF loves Malazan Book of the Fallen. He's said that it actually has an SF flavour to it, although I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that. Got me curious to try again, though.

Safari Bob likes this.