SF/F Reading in June 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Afraid I've neither seen nor read Neverwhere. Must get a copy sometime.
    Stardust really is a wonderful book! Does your copy also have illustrations by Charles Vess?

2. Boreas

I read this juvenile trilogy called the Avatar Chronicles by Conor Kostick some years back where the plot is framed within an MMORPG context, but it has less to do with the technicalities of gaming such as skill points, level ups, etc. (although all those features are there), and more to do with other thematic explorations that I thought were really great overall. The first instalment, Epic, was the most game-like and more of a traditional quest adventure. Second instalment, Saga, was my favourite, and it totally came at the story from an angle I just did not expect, which is why I liked it so much. You could almost read it independently of the first volume. The third instalment, Edda, requires the reading of both the previous volumes and brings the plot threads together. I thought that for a children's science fiction trilogy, it was very smart and I give it an A!

R-Hat likes this.
  3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I hope to start Gardens of the Moon tonight.

kenubrion likes this.
  4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

You see, now I have to read it to prove you wrong…:)

I read The Graveyard Book and Coraline and enjoyed both. I have also read and loved most of the short stories in Smoke and Mirrors. I have also bought a beautiful edition of Neverwhere illustrated by Chris Riddell, which I guess will be my next Gaiman book. I'll think about American Gods.

Oh, wait! Did you finish Concrete Blonde, The Man of Legends and Children of Time? Did you like them?

5. Safari Bob

Oh yes. Concrete Blonde was a pretty good mystery but I just can't seem to like Bosch. My wife loves him and can't understand why I don't like him either. But the mystery was pretty good overall even with some predictability.

Now Children of Time was a real pleasure to read. I loved the whole concept of the spider characters and enjoyed the ending. Did he write a sequel? I kind of hope not--I found it that satisfying.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Good! I’m with your wife regarding Bosch, I like him too. This series is not, in my opinion, very sophisticated nor very imaginative but the stories are very well paced and highly entertaining. I love reading these type of books during the summer holidays. I tend to read more European crime novels during the winter months, and I’m not sure why is that...

Now, have you read anything else by Tchaikovsky? Shadow of the Apt or Echoes of the Fall Series? I’m keeping a close eye on the latter and as soon as the price drops I will get it.

Safari Bob likes this.
  7. Safari Bob

No this was my first foray into Tchaikovsky. I will look up those other titles. Thanks!

What kind of European crime novels do you read? I enjoyed Henning Mankell Wallander series.

8. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Not sure. I have kindle version so will need to check... It's definitely due a reread one of these days.

9. Boreas

I'd be interested in knowing more about this topic, too. You guys should start a new thread for crime fiction.

10. Diziet Sma

I have read about 40% of Sandman Slim and really struggling with it. All there is so far is a lot of predictable bing, bang, boom without much plot nor character development. Has anyone read it? Should I bother with it?

11. Boreas

If you're struggling with it, then you should just drop it. Unless you're an obsessive compulsive finisher of books?

12. Safari Bob

I am planning on starting Nemesis Games tonight.

Royce Sears likes this.
  13. Diziet Sma

That I am. I'm going to put it in the fridge for a while...

14. Boreas

I am finally going to start Stephenson's Reamde tonight. Hoping for a fast-paced and fun read.

It's curse you know, to want to obsessively finish a book that you're really not enjoying.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. Diziet Sma

I have just started Excession and, oh my! I’m only about 50 pages in and I have already come across a woman in a forty-year-old self-perpetuated pregnancy and a ship report sent in “High Embarrassment Factor Mode” I have also made the Affront's acquaintance...

Banks’ narrative style is so far very dense as he resorts very frequently to a long string of compound and double-barrelled nouns and adjectives: Eccentric, intelligent and definitely fun. It just takes me a bit longer to decipher the meaning and catalogue what is proper English from Banks’ own quirky semantics.

16. Boreas

Then you've also seen the derision the Module heaps on Genar-Hofoen's suit? Poor suit, just because it's barely sapient. Vacuous membrane indeed.

17. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

I rather enjoyed American Gods. Gaiman's exploration of Odin through Mr. Wednesday was fun, and I enjoyed Shadow's character development throughout the novel. The second book in the series, Anansi Boys, was a fun read too.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  18. Royce Sears

I just finished Neverwhere recently and enjoyed it. The idea of a forgotten/unnoticed world functioning beneath our own was fun to explore, though I found the main character a bit lacking.

19. Royce Sears

Non-Scifi reading-- I just finished re-reading The Celestine Prophecy--one of my favorite books--and recently started Babylon's Ashes (Expanse #6)

Boreas likes this.
  20. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Yesterday I read Martha Wells' new Kindle single called All Systems Red. I was just intending to sample it while looking for something new and couldn't put it down. It's about a half-human and half-robot security construct that is guarding an exploratory team on a newly investigated planet.

Boreas and Safari Bob like this.