SF/F Reading in June 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Welcome @Dtyler99! Glad to have you here and kudos to @Diziet Sma for her recruitment!

I really liked it. But I do understand why many would have a problem with the book. But execrable? I would say ambitious and audacious! And what's this collaboration that Stephenson is doing?

I am also an admirer of Gene Wolfe's works, and The Fifth Head of Cerberus is one of my particular favourites.

2. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

My bad. Harsh word, that. I really like Stephenson and certainly seveneves is ambitious, but my eyes glazed over at the sheer amount of data dumping. Check out my review on Goodreads http://bit.ly/2rBjIqY .

Stephenson's new collaboration is with historical fiction author Nicole Galland called, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. due out next week. It's about modern day scientists discovering that magic is real, but stopped working with the rise of the industrial age, and the efforts to get it working again. Sounds like a lot of fun--especially after seveneves.... :D Many early readers aver it's his best since Snow Crash.

3. Boreas

Are you not enjoying Eifelheim? And what do you mean with "hard-won human normality"?

4. Boreas

Yeah, he does go to more extreme lengths with the exposition even for himself. But I mostly thought it was all good. It's an obsessive compulsive feature of Stephenson's writing that I like. And actually, I find Anathem to be his absolute masterpiece so far. And I have the opposite experience of what you say in your review concerning it...I've come across plenty of hardcore Stephenson fans who also think Anathem is his best.

Dtyler99 likes this.
  5. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I've read the first two books but never the last.

Welcome DTyler99! I dumped on Seveneves too but raise my opinion as time goes by. I think about it a lot even after almost a year has gone by since reading it. But it got me to continue with Stephenson and I loved The Baroque Cycle.

6. J.K.A. Short

J.K.A. Short Full Member

Hi all, interesting books!
    I'm heading along the last journey of Fitzchivalry Farseer in Fitz & the Fool trilogy 'Fate of the Assassin.'
    I've enjoyed Robin Hobb's trilogies such as The Farseer Trilogy, Tawny Man Trilogy and this one. Also Rain Wild Chronicles was great.

I'm also currently reading David Icke's Remember Who You Are (not fiction, but as some consider it Swiftian Satire, thought I'd still get away with mentioning it.)
    About to head into starting a bit of Timothy Zahn with the second book in the Thrawn Trilogy: Dark Force Rising.

Would love to get into some Indiana Jones if anyone can recommend. I've tried Rob McGregor and Max McCoy. McGregor was ok, but not a fave. McCoy was hideously awful.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  7. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Started Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky this morning. Wasn't planning too, I didn't have it lined up or anything, I just saw it sat there in my kindle library, read the synopsis, was somewhat taken by it so started reading it.

Only 1 and a bit chapters in, but the premise is interesting so far. There's terra-forming, AI, colonization, terrorism, back-stabbing and genetic engineering. Oh, and monkeys, and spiders (which was the start of chapter 2 ... a freaking spider POV!!). It's got a post-civilisation dystopian theme going on.

Good stuff!

Safari Bob, Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  8. Boreas

The Heir to the Empire trilogy is more properly Star Wars than any of the SW films that came after the original trilogy of films. Really fun books with great character development for Thrawn, Luke and Mara Jade, the Hand of the Emperor.
    I'm looking forward to this because every one of the SF books I've read with arachnid characters have been awesome!

And wouldn't you want to read action-packed SF containing ponts-of-view of super-intelligent crabs? It's so much more great than it sounds.

J.K.A. Short likes this.
  9. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

This weekend I am planning to start The Man of Legends by Kenneth Johnson. I don't know anything about it, really, but I was free.

10. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I really liked the eight-sided personality the arachnids provided in The Last Legend of Earth.
    I bought CoT recently on an offer and I have only read good reviews about this book. Let us know how you are liking it.

I have just looked it up and it does look interesting. Looking forward to reading your opinion. Surely very soon.:)

I'm still on Camilleri and enjoying every line of it.

11. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I read COT last year. The spider sections were fantastic, the humans decidedly meh. Overall if it had been half the length with the spiders dominating I'd have utterly loved it :)

12. Diziet Sma

I think I’m a bit saturated with SF at the moment and need a little break. I’m checking out my bookshelves for my next read and I haven’t got a clue what I’ll be choosing...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  13. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I declare your remedy to be Jodi Taylor's St Mary's Chronicles if you haven't read them. I'm on book 2 and hugely entertained :)

14. TomTB

It's a new one on me ... I like the way it's done in this book though, in my mind's eye it comes across like an up close and personal David Attenborough documentary, but with added commentary of the little critters being filmed. It's pretty cool!

Yes. Yes I would!

kenubrion and Boreas like this.
  15. Boreas

Neal Asher's Polity. He does the absolute best monsters, both the sapient and non-sapient kinds. The Spatterjay trilogy. 1st instalment introduces you to a planetary ecosystem that is out to kill you, some crab action. 2nd instalment on same planetary ecosystem with an off-planet ultra-hard-to-kill monster, and a battle between two oceanic behemoths, with much increased crab action now verging on super-crab. 3rd instalment - off planetary, super-god-hood-immortal-crabs duke it out with super-indestructible-immortal-human & ultra-high-tech-super-tricksy drone (who's in all three instalments) and then everybody dukes it out against super-everything-destroying-aliens. Very satisfying.

16. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I started Cibola Burn last night.

Boreas likes this.
  17. TomTB

That sounds great! I own a few Asher books I think so will check of they're the right ones and if so bump them up the list! Thanks :)

18. Diziet Sma

Thank you, Jo! I will look it up.

jo zebedee likes this.
  19. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Maybe because I've been in tech all my life, my favorite is still Cryptonomicon, particularly when he mentions a server in a cabinet in Los Altos CA, where I lived for many years...

As to Anathem, when it first came out, a lot of people were saying, "WTF?" But it's spooky in a surreal way and gets under your skin. I love Stephenson's snarky prose and will read anything he writes just for that.

20. Boreas

I love Cryptonomicon. I devoured that massive paperback in '97/'98. Loved the cryptology bits, love the Turing sections at Bletchley Park, loved just about everything, but the ending left me feeling disoriented. Just like with Snow Crash and Seveneves, I was expecting at least one more chapter. SC and C both end very abruptly. I kept waiting a long time for a sequel, and I remember at the time that there was news of a sequel on the way, so I was eagerly anticipating it. Turns out, he wrote historical trilogy instead.

Anathem has a steep genre-learning curve for the first 80-100 pages, all of which I enjoyed but I read through them slowly as I tried to absorb all the details. I dug the whole process except for the long architectural digression of the main tower. After around page 80, I was mostly familiar with the world-building and it all clicked together and then I couldn't stop reading fast enough. It is absolute class.