SF/F reading in July 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Finished Lord Valentine's Castle. And I liked it more on this reread. I'd basically forgotten everything except for a few major plot points and some scenes. Calling it science fiction is a stretch, even though it takes place on another planet with plenty of different alien races and high tech and Earth is pretty much a distant memory. It still feels like medieval times and there's telepathy and the story is just one long trek around a massive planet. I guess the underpinning is sci-fi but it feels completely like a fantasy. The main character wakes up without any memory, and as he joins a circus troupe and travels across the land, he slowly uncovers his hidden memory and a big conspiracy is revealed. It's really a slow read. It's so slow in the beginning that it's almost sleepy, but I still though it was great. It was a good, relaxing story after the way Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion messed me up.

Now I gotta find something more epic and serious science fiction.

2. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Hmm...the last Stephenson I read was way back with Cryptonomicon which wasn't science fiction but was a totally awesome WWII thriller with lots of code-breaking. I like Stephenson a lot, and this sounds like hardcore SF, so maybe I should pick this one up soon.

3. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

The last St Mary's Chronicle. *whimpers*

4. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I've started Alastair Reynolds' Slow Bullets. It's a novella, so it shouldn't take long to read.

kenubrion likes this.
  5. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Hi Kanly. If you want to go with Reynolds work, the short story collection called Galactic North presents the perfect way to prepare for his Revelation Space trilogy. I tried the trilogy twice and gave up, but when Boreas mentioned Galactic North, not only is it a great collection of his best short work but I actually raced to try Revelation Space again and this time I understood and didn't put it down. That led to my reading everything he has written. So just a suggestion if you're thinking of reading Revelation Space. I like his short story books because he gets to the point and the action right away.

Boreas and Kanly like this.
  6. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Hi kenubrion, I didn't read Galactic North, but I already read the Revelation Space trilogy and Chasm City. I had a hard time with Revelation Space too, but then someone recommended that I put it aside and read Chasm City first which I did and couldn't put it down. Then reading the trilogy wasn't a problem. I still have to pick up The Prefect and now I'll also add Galactic North. It's an awesome, dark universe, and really epic. And I always feel a little smarter after I've read Reynolds.

Boreas and kenubrion like this.
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

OK Kanly, sounds good.

8. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I have just finished Empire of the Ants by B. Werber and this has been a pleasure to read. Weird as far as characterisation is concerned, as I have never previously engaged with ants way of thinking nor with their emotions. The story is very cleverly presented and extremely well documented regarding the entomology content, which I knew nothing about.
    Something is for sure, I will never step on ants again with utter disregard.

I’m also halfway through Age of Myth and it is a fun and a very entertaining read. I’m just not reading as much as I would like it to as there are far too many distractions around. Tough being on holiday!:)

Boreas likes this.
  9. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Almost done with Reaper's Gale on my 1st Malazan reread. Have the complete collection on my Kindle that I use when I'm on a plane, in airports, or in hotels (too much, it seems). Also wanted to finish RG before my Subterranean Press limited edition shows up next month so I can refrain from cracking the spine... :)

Diziet Sma, Boreas and Safari Bob like this.
  10. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

You should post pics of all the fancy hc editions you buy in the 'book haul' thread. I'm always keen to see what limited editions look like!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. Diziet Sma

12. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

13. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

I find myself more and more just working off a list of books I got from this page's Facebook recommendations.
    Currently, I'm reading the hard SF anthology The Ascent of Wonder. Had to order that from the states and it took so long, I forgot about it. Imagine the great surprise of finding it on my doorstep.
    I've barely read into it, but the first couple stories, especially the Le Guin one about clones and identity, and the one about slow glass were quite excellent.

Other than that, I'm also reading a fantasy recommendation from here: The Master of Whitestorm, by Jenny Wurts. It's been a long, long time since a work of fantasy really captured my interest, but I just love Wurts' writing style. The dialogue in that book has so much.. heft to it. It's like every other sentence is some grandiose statement against the elements. Great stuff.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  14. Boreas

Bob Shaw?
    Great! I'm so glad if those mini recommendations on the FB page have actually caused someone to pick up a book. I didn't think they were having much traction in the beginning. And there hasn't been one for a couple of months, so I should start those again. Janny Wurts is such a good writer! She really knows how to maximise emotional resonance with a minimum of effort.

15. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Yes, that was the Bob Shaw story, you also mentioned that one in a mini-recommendation. The whole book is just great fun thus far. Well worth waiting two months on shipping!
    I really, really enjoy these little recommendations since I don't really have much time to hunt for interesting books myself anymore. In recent years, I basically just bought books based on the most recent HUGO awards, but I've missed out on so many older books that way.
    It's especially interesting since much of what you recommend has never been released in Germany anyway, and is not stuff that's being widely discussed. Janny Wurts (forgive my earlier spelling mistake) is definitely someone I will look out for in future book shopping sprees.

16. Boreas

I don't remember recommending Bob Shaw. Must have been Paul in one of his many blog posts. I think that he does nothing else BUT read science fiction. I'll start up the mini recs again, but I've been busy (and also lazy) of late and have stopped posting the usual number of interesting articles and short story highlights and the like.

17. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Haha that's fine, too. How long has it been since you recommended The Master of Whitestorm? That must've been at least a month and a half ago. I think most of us are slow to integrate new suggestions into the list.

18. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Started rereading Fall of Hyperion recently. Finished rereading Hyperion a few days back, and completely contrary to my earlier views on the books, I'm enjoying Fall of H a lot more than I did H!

I remember first time I read H I was bowled over by the structure of the book .. it was the first one i'd come across that told a story like that. This time around I was a little less enthusiastic about the contents of some of the 'tales', but the overarching story arc is much more appealing.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  19. Boreas

Eighth of May.
    Yes! Fall of Hyperion is what really makes the story! All the pieces fit together brilliantly and the actual plot is finally considered. Hyperion only sets the stage. I can never understand when people say they disliked FoH after H.

20. Diziet Sma

Absolutely, Hyperion is the first two acts of a great play. The grand finale takes place during Fall of Hyperion.