SF/F reading in July 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Jul 2, 2017.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Whatcha reading this month?

2. TomTB

Started a reread of Hyperion this morning. Aiming to reread (well, listen to) the first two then read the last two.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm still very slowly going through Heinlein's collection The Past Through Tomorrow. I read one or two stories from it a week.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

It is terribly busy at work at the moment just before the summer holiday. Besides, we have all sort of farewell lunches, dinners… Jeez, we are seeing each other again in 5 weeks. None of us is leaving the planet! Although I wish some of them did...
    Nevermind, I still have about 80 pages left on Excession: Wow! I will comment about it as soon as I finish and, digest this beauty.

5. Boreas

Kids or colleagues or both?

6. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I am reading Memories of Ice right now.

7. Boreas

You're on a roll with those massive Malazan books. How was Deadhouse Gates? Better than Gardens of the Moon?

8. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

You know, I enjoyed Gardens of the Moon more but Deadhouse Gates is quite good. But I almost always enjoy the first in a series the most, for some reason. Even in TV I tend to like the pilot episode the most, if I like the series at all.

9. Diziet Sma

Kids are fine. Colleagues and some parents on the other hand….
    I have been toying with the idea of sending a little group to the Sleeper Service for storing and a highly embarrassing tableau…

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Boreas likes this.
  10. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Still devouring the St Mary's books by Jodi Taylor. As soon as I put one down my husband is away with it and I'm straight to the next. On book 4 with 5 stashed for holiday reading and 7 and 8 about to be ordered. Once done I'll reread to catch all the nuances of time I missed.

These are silly and fun (with sex scenes) and right up my street. The last series I devoured like this was Vorkosigan. :)

TomTB likes this.
  11. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I started Armada.

12. Boreas

It's not too late to stop!

13. TomTB

Don't listen to him, it's fun :)

14. Boreas

You just want that little puppy to suffer, you sadist! Someone call PETA!

TomTB likes this.
  15. kenubrion

Instead of stopping, I've added a fantasy book to read concurrently. It's Martha Wells' The Death of the Necromancer, her most well known book. I've read two other books in this same world with familiar characters so it should go well.

Speaking of Martha Wells, her new sci-fi novella, All Systems Red, is quite good. Apparently this is going to be a serial starring the human/robot construct that is the hero of All Systems Red. Newly discovered earth-like planet, with competing expeditions, that becomes a battleground for survival. This will likely earn her first Nebula if I have a say in it.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  16. Diziet Sma

What's up with Armada???

17. Boreas

18. TomTB

19. Kanly

Kanly Full Member

Right now, I'm rereading Robert Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle.

Boreas likes this.
  20. kenubrion

I'm at 31% and Armada is OK. Similar to Ready Player One in that excelling at videogames is the main plot element. Everyone who consider themselves defenders of the harmonious galactic thingie should consider this book required reading.