SF/F Reading in January 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Ha, excellent! Pure consciousness as collapsed wave-functions. Or consciousness itself causes the collapse of the wave function. The whole Neumann-Wigner Interpretation applied as a causal law of karma. Brilliant stuff! I also like the fact that you underlined and marked passages.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

For the first time in ages I've not got a SF books on the go. Currently reading The Company by KJ Parker and Uprooted (audiobook) by Naomi Novik.

The Company (very low fantasy - it's set in a different world but besides that it could be historical fiction) is starting to drag a little. It's about a group of war veterans who decide to all 'up sticks' and move to a deserted island. There are regular flash backs to their army career, which are probably my favourite thing about it .. something needs to happen soon to the main storyline; my patience is waning.

Uprooted is a 'nice' book so far ... I'm not far in but I think it's gonna be one of those that don't linger long in the memory but are enjoyable enough whilst reading.

3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I wasn't at all familiar with this theorem and I looked it up. You have just sent me back into my washing machine spinning cycle...o_O

4. Diziet Sma

I have read very contradicting reviews about this one. I'm interested to see what you make of it when you are finished.

5. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

I just bought two books in a day, something that haven't happened to me for years. It's not just this full-time job salary effect, it's also the awesomeness and truthfulness of the books. The first was Electrical Christianity by L. Ron Gardner (I hope that's a pseudonym). The other was The Ghost of Emily by James Fox Higgins. It is written by a member of a philosophically-politically-friendly community and it is packed with the real issues and based on real people whom I admire, but with a plenty of sci-fi epicness running the show. I think I will enjoy this a lot. Will post a review as soon as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR95FRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_hgBIybCMD929K

Diziet Sma, Boreas and Royce Sears like this.
  6. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

I picked it up at the Library :)

7. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I was never really interested in this novel. Plus, it seemed over-hyped. I'm also looking forward to your opinion when you're done.
    Such as?

8. Diziet Sma

I'm not reading any SF nor Fantasy at the moment. I'm trying to work out what to go for next. I'm writing down a short list of books I currently own and see which ones are more appalling...

9. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

I posted a review on my blog of Suri Five, at the request of the author. Suri Five is a cyber-punk dystopian novel. Aside from a slow start due to some world building amidst an action scene that left me flipping back and forth to try to keep up with what was going on, this is a good read about Artificial Intelligence. The main character, a teenage girl, is used as a model for an AI that is used to fight a new cyber-war against China. While cyber-punk isn't normally my cup of tea, I enjoyed the book and recommend it. Full Review Here.

Diziet Sma and TomTB like this.