SF/F Reading in January 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Ha, excellent! Pure consciousness as collapsed wave-functions. Or consciousness itself causes the collapse of the wave function. The whole Neumann-Wigner Interpretation applied as a causal law of karma. Brilliant stuff! I also like the fact that you underlined and marked passages.

Elvira likes this.
  2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

For the first time in ages I've not got a SF books on the go. Currently reading The Company by KJ Parker and Uprooted (audiobook) by Naomi Novik.

The Company (very low fantasy - it's set in a different world but besides that it could be historical fiction) is starting to drag a little. It's about a group of war veterans who decide to all 'up sticks' and move to a deserted island. There are regular flash backs to their army career, which are probably my favourite thing about it .. something needs to happen soon to the main storyline; my patience is waning.

Uprooted is a 'nice' book so far ... I'm not far in but I think it's gonna be one of those that don't linger long in the memory but are enjoyable enough whilst reading.

3. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I wasn't at all familiar with this theorem and I looked it up. You have just sent me back into my washing machine spinning cycle...o_O

4. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I have read very contradicting reviews about this one. I'm interested to see what you make of it when you are finished.

5. R-Hat

R-Hat Regular Member

I just bought two books in a day, something that haven't happened to me for years. It's not just this full-time job salary effect, it's also the awesomeness and truthfulness of the books. The first was Electrical Christianity by L. Ron Gardner (I hope that's a pseudonym). The other was The Ghost of Emily by James Fox Higgins. It is written by a member of a philosophically-politically-friendly community and it is packed with the real issues and based on real people whom I admire, but with a plenty of sci-fi epicness running the show. I think I will enjoy this a lot. Will post a review as soon as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR95FRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_hgBIybCMD929K

Elvira, Boreas and Royce Sears like this.
  6. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

I picked it up at the Library :)

7. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I was never really interested in this novel. Plus, it seemed over-hyped. I'm also looking forward to your opinion when you're done.
    Such as?

8. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I'm not reading any SF nor Fantasy at the moment. I'm trying to work out what to go for next. I'm writing down a short list of books I currently own and see which ones are more appalling...

9. Royce Sears

Royce Sears Well-Known Member

I posted a review on my blog of Suri Five, at the request of the author. Suri Five is a cyber-punk dystopian novel. Aside from a slow start due to some world building amidst an action scene that left me flipping back and forth to try to keep up with what was going on, this is a good read about Artificial Intelligence. The main character, a teenage girl, is used as a model for an AI that is used to fight a new cyber-war against China. While cyber-punk isn't normally my cup of tea, I enjoyed the book and recommend it. Full Review Here.

Elvira and TomTB like this.