SF/F Reading in January 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Almost half way through The Last Legend and loving it! I have succumbed to either flu or Attanasio has passed me on some hallucinatory side effects and haven't been able to read today without seeing music in colour. As soon as it passes, I shall continue...

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm going to make some headway with Neal Asher's book tonight. Two full hours before bed!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  3. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I make that pledge every night. 15 mins later .... fast asleep! :)

4. Boreas

You were so right. I got to just over 30 minutes and then the Sandman roped me in.

5. jon snow

jon snow Full Member

Just finished Dust by Hugh Howey. Looking for a new read now.

6. Diziet Sma

Back to Attanasio, loving this outrageous plot. It teases me into a "catch me if you can" mind trap. And here I come, silly me, trying to anticipate where the next story arc is heading to... :rolleyes:

7. Boreas

Which point are you at?

8. Diziet Sma

. Ned and Pahang have stopped helping Gai in order to find Beppu. Gorlik and Nappy are now after Beppu herself...

9. Diziet Sma

And...? Without spoilers, how are you find it so far?

10. Boreas

I read it in 2000 when I'd made the move to Basel for a short while. If you remember, R-Hat started a thread on Attanasio and we were discussing it. You can also use the spoiler button.

11. Boreas

Wow, there are FOUR people online simultaneously! A whole 4!

TomTB likes this.
  12. Diziet Sma

Sorry, I meant Asher's book...?

13. Diziet Sma

Quick!! Get the music and I bring the Margaritas!!!

14. Boreas

Ah, whoops, I didn't see your previous post with spoiler.

I'm not too far, sadly. But, I can say a few things. The second book seems to be set approximately 160 120 years in the future. I think I remember the main female character being around 80 in The Skinner, and if you remember the particulars of Hooper psychology, she has started to go through her phase of extreme ennui when most Hoopers are liable to commit suicide. Sniper, now the Warden, is as cantankerous as ever, and even its subminds have some of that brusque personality. I haven't caught a glimpse of Windcheater yet, but he has essentially become the Boss of Spatterjay and all the other Windsails have become augmented with Polity tech, have become fully cognizant of economics and no longer give their services for just food. The years since "Boss" took over has allowed Spatterjay enough prosperity that Hoopers are now earning enough to even leave the planet. And I'm learning more about the Hive minds which I was fascinated by previously, but there wasn't enough expansion on that particular facet of the story in the first instalment. And of course, there was a brilliant prologue with the Prador, and the repercussions do NOT look promising.

None of this is spoiler-ish territory. It's all set-up fairly early on.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. TomTB

Reading KJ Parker's 'The Company'. This is as close to not being fantasy as fantasy gets (from my experience) and I'm really enjoying it so far. Great writing style with some great characters.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  16. Boreas

Diziet Sma likes this.
  17. Diziet Sma

Oh! I miss Windcheater! Mmm, I should read it before long.

18. TomTB

I must say, the site seems to be running significantly slower these last few minutes. Maybe we should incorporate some sort of user cap or something ;)

Boreas and Diziet Sma like this.
  19. Diziet Sma

Have you found it?

20. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I forgot to sign out a couple days ago on the fantasy forum. If you like, I can forget to sign out here and get those user numbers way up.

Boreas likes this.