SF/F Reading in February 2019

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Diziet Sma, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

With some delay, tell us what you are currently reading.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

This weekend I will be begin The Citadel of the Autarch (The Book of the New Sun #4) by Gene Wolfe.
    I love puzzles and so far, Wolfe is a puzzle in himself :)

Dtyler99 likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I haven't been reading much SF lately aside from the two book club selections for January for the FB group. I was surprised that I quite enjoyed the sillyness of John Scalzi's The Android's Dream, despite finding his scatalogical opening to be unfunny. I found quite a bit of it entertaining: all the back-stabbing aliens, the history of meat-eating vs veganism, the satirical backdrop of The Church of the Evolved Lamb, one of the best coup d'etats ever planned....all of it was quite fun.

Now, Okorafor's Binti. Still not sure what to think. I essentially didn't like it, but there was one scene I did enjoy: Binti's audience with the Chief Meduse. The way that scene functioned was right out of a fairy or folk tale, including the overall resolution of the story. But it was a too simply written story with too many inconsistencies and sudden happenings. Just weak. I'm thinking that I might skim through it quickly one more time since it's so very short. Just to see if I missed anything or if my opinion changes.

4. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Not reading much of anything this month, as I am slammed in writing mode on the new book. But I did get to read The Poppy War #1 by R.F .Kuang, a quick-read YA/NA take of a peasant's girl rise to military power and shamanism in an alternate China. The author, Chinese herself, did a great job of tying the traditions and real-life tropes of her homeland to the altered China of the book. Other than that, been picking through The Smartest Guys in the Room; The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron. Read a book not too long ago that was similar, but about a true-life Silicon valley startup called Bad Blood and I've been hooked on these cautionary business tales since (full disclosure -- throughout most of the 90s until about 2015, I worked at several valley startups). Have also unplugged from FB to take a break and concentrate on building my Twitter platform and connecting with other writers--so I thought I'd drop by this board and say hi!