SF/F Reading in February, 2018

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Heh. Cyberpunk is actually an anachronism now, given that it's been 30+ years since Neuromancer appeared. Gibson was more on the predictive mark than many cyberpunk authors, but as with everything tech & society, it ever surprises.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Well, as usual, I'm arriving late to the party. I'm ready to be surprised.

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'm surprised by how heavily stylised Neuromancer is. I've known that famous opening line by heart for years, but I'm now finding that it's the perfect harbinger of both tone and mood. The descriptions are a little jarring at first, occasionally very fluid and at other times having this harsher, very punctuated and staccato rhythm. But I'm now finding that these opposite styles play off each other well in constructing this artificial, technological and very neon landscape.

4. Diziet Sma

I started it last evening and read a bit more during lunch. I agree with you. In my opinion, it is very sensorial (not sure whether I can use this adjective in this context)
    I'm also finding it demanding due to the jargon/dialect Gibson uses. I'm constantly looking words up in the Urban Dictionary. Otherwise, Neuromancer would get lost in translation. I cannot rush it.

5. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I am still waiting on Altered Carbon so I started:
    [​IMG]

Dtyler99 and Diziet Sma like this.
  6. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

I am currently listening to "I was reincarnated as a magic academy" by Cristian M. Dragomir. It is a webnovel version which is much longer than what is currently released on Amazon. I am listening to it via the @Voice Aloud app and some Acapela voice. It's not an audiobook, but it is pretty good that way. It's a LitRPG with some ecchi elements, but the MC is a slightly perverted dungeon core. I stopped reading and just listen to it for two weeks and I'm barely in half. 2000 pages can't be that long, but the file was so big that my phone app could not open it. So I ended up listening to it.

I've been exploring some webnovel-downloading technologies lately. The best one is FanFictionFare which integrates with Calibre, although it only supports some websites. That being said, the longest finished webnovel I have is over 6000 pages long and the longest ongoing is over 7000 pages. Sure enough, these are translations from Chinese. I can provide Dropbox links or a comprehensive list. They are often LitRPG, Chinese martial arts fantasy (Xianxia), sci-fi, etc. Other authors there actually became published on Amazon, but all the webnovels are free.

7. Diziet Sma

I have read about 70% 0f Neuromancer. I'm very much enjoying this weird, extremely clever story.

8. Diziet Sma

I have finished Neuromancer. Anyone else?

9. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Not yet. Need a few more days. How did you find it in the end? Still liked it?

10. Dtyler99

Read Neuromancer when it came out in the 80s. It was a game changer for both readers and writers. Gibson was on to something very different. It still is 30 years later, but I think that's due to Gibson's unique vision. Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are worthy companion pieces. Glad to see it's held up over the years. I still buy a new Gibson book sight unseen....Pattern Recognition was fun and The Peripheral was brutally brilliant.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. Dtyler99

Just started myself on my Malazan re-read. After Toll the Hounds, it's a bit of a let-down so far, but it's really part 1 of the ending.

12. Safari Bob

I'm glad that I am not the only one who feels that way.

13. Dtyler99

toll_the_hounds_by_steven_erikson.jpg

TTH was draining (in a good way). Same as with Memories of Ice. Took me a long time to get into the Tiste Edur storyline in Midnight Tides. (Pre-sale for MBotF subscribers to Subterranean Press's limited edition series just went up late last week.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  14. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

The Tiste Edur storyline in Midnight Tides was the highlight of the series for me. Funny how opinions differ.

Dtyler99 likes this.
  15. Dtyler99

Yeah, it's all YMMV. That's the beauty of the genre.

16. Diziet Sma

I have begun reading Galactic North by A. Reynolds and almost finished the first story Great Wall on Mars. It is fantastic.

Boreas likes this.
  17. Safari Bob

I finished Altered Carbon.

18. Diziet Sma

And...?

19. Safari Bob

Sorry. I was posting at work and I got called away just as I wrote that. I enjoyed the book and I liked the story found within better than the Netflix version (which was fairly close) although I do think that Poe (TV) is more interesting than Hendrix (book). I plan on getting the other books in that series.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  20. Safari Bob

Last night, I started re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for grins and giggles.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.