SF/F Reading in February 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I bought the whole series as it was on offer. I think I will weave these OMW books into (in between? not sure of the correct preposition) other more demanding books.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I'll be reading the sequel to OMW soon-ish. I'm interested in seeing whether he gets better.
    I'm really looking forward to getting to The Forge of God. But I've got one more early Bear book I want to read before I pick up this one. How come you're not interested in reading the [kind of] sequel to TFoG, Anvil of Stars? I've come across people who've said they thought AoS was better.

3. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I hope I haven't overdone it with TFoG and when you eventually read it, you will like it too.
    I will definitely pick Anvil of Stars, but I suspect, as much I will enjoy it, it will have a different feel to TFoG. I don't want to spoil it for you...;)

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I like Bear's style, both the two later examples that I've read and also these two early ones I've more recently read. I'm sure I'll enjoy TFoG. As for AoS having a different feel, I hope so! It should be an entirely different story, although related to TFoG. And I always prefer the instalments in duologies and trilogies to be completely different books with full resolutions, linked only thematically or by some other cursory elements rather than being one long, continuous story that has been chopped off into two or three or more parts.

Elvira likes this.
  5. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to discussing TFoG with you once you have read it. I don't want to comment on this because I will spoilt the story for you.

Boreas likes this.
  6. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I've just finished Lock In by Scalzi. Probably my least favourite Scalzi book, I just found it difficult to 'click' with. I liked the concept, but found it hard to get immersed in the plot. Funnily enough there is a novella included as a freebie at the end of the audiobook, which I think would have increased my enjoyment of the book had I listened to it first.

So there's my recommendation. Listen to the novella before the novel.

7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Well, since you mention that some like Anvil of Stars better, I'll give it another try. And like Elvira I'm very interested in your opinion of Forge.

Boreas likes this.