SF/F Reading in August 2018

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Diziet Sma, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

What science fiction or fantasy works are you currently reading?

I'm reading The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

2. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

3. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Finally started Neal Stephenson & Nicole Galland's The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. last night. Unlike the rough slog of Seveneves (sorry Boreas), I can't put it down. It's like Connie Willis's Doomsday Book, with a little of her To Say Nothing of the Dog, and a dash of Stross's Merchant Princes series thrown in. Thoroughly entertaining and pacy (so far--on page 280).

4. Diziet Sma

I'm still reading The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov (about 70%). However, this weekend I have read The Wandering Earth, Devourer and Taking Care of Gods all three short stories by Liu Cixin. I adore Mr. Cixin.

5. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Ever read Gore Vidal's Kalki? Similar to the synopsis of Happy Doomsday (minus the teenagers and a bit dated, and definitely not YA), but I hadn't thought of the book in ages.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  6. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Full Member

Have recently started "The Three-Body Problem", but find it still hard to get into it.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I have not read that. Thanks!

8. Diziet Sma

I'm toying with the idea of reading this book as I have very much enjoyed three of Liu's short stories: The Wandering Earth, Devourer and Taking Care of Gods. However, I have read many polarising reviews regarding TTBP.
    Please, do share how you find it as you progress with the story.

9. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I just started my second book by Robert McCammon, Stinger. This after yesterday finishing his The Wolf's Hour, which was a great dark fantasy and a different take on the werewolf thing. Stinger is about a good alien fleeing a bad bounty hunter alien monster and a couple Texas desert bordertowns fighting back against the monster. I have bought McCammon's books as they have gone on sale but finally read one and he's a very good author. Swan Song and Boy's Life are his most well known books but he's written many others. Has anyone else read McCammon?

10. Diziet Sma

Yes, I have read The Wolf's Hour. I enjoyed more the furry origins of Michael Gallantin than the spy narrative line.
    I haven't read anything else by McCammon, so let me know how you find your next read by him.

11. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Stinger has been an exciting read. It's sci-fi/horror with action continuously. McCammon does characters and dialogue that reminds me of Stephen King but with more action. Very talented author who is still writing books. Two small Texas border towns are trapped by an alien bounty hunter who is very bad. The good alien it's after is a surprising character. Both aliens are very well fleshed out. A great read.

I think I will stay with McCammon and read either his opus magnum Swan Song or Speaks The Nightbird. I tend to binge on a "new" (for me) author when I find one I really like.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018 at 1:47 PM
  12. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Currently reading an anthology: The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 12 edited by Jonathan Strahan.