SF/F reading in August 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Safari Bob, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I haven't read that. Have you read Eon? That's amazing! It's like Rendezvous with Rama, but with more politics and a much longer read.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

No, I haven't. I have only read The Forge of God and its sequel, Anvil of Stars.
    I have already bought Darwin's Radio duology.
    I simply don't know how to get through so many books...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

It is excellent. I was out of town for a week at a conference so I just started it late last night (when I should have been sleeping).

Boreas likes this.
  4. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I've finished the first two sections of Seveneves. Man, the orbital mechanics has been a little overwhelming, and I think I could've skipped a lot of it but I persevered. I'm not too science or math literate, but it is followable and even pretty interesting when you kinda get into the groove. Well, I was less interested in the descriptions of the various structures and modules associated with the ISS, but I ended up loving the bits about techniques in asteroid mining and some of the physical and biological principles that were explained. I was in the mood for some hard sci-fi after the Hyperion duology, and it seems like I definitely got my wish. Maybe too much so! But I remember thinking the same thing with Stephenson's Cryptomomicon and those code-breaking and math explanations, but man it paid off! Cryptomomicon was one of the most awesome books I read at the time.

And I've just finished one of the most intense and emotionally devastating sections of this book with the return of the expedition to retrieve an ice comet and the final push for survival with the Big Ride. Holy crap!

5. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I've only read Eon and Blood Music by Bear. I think they are his two most famous books.

6. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I've been 'off' reading these past few weeks. Struggled through to the 39% mark of Polaris by Jack McDevit, but have finally decided to quit. I find his writing style extremely bland, his characters lifeless, and the plot vaguely interesting but not enough to force me on.

I probably won't return to anything else by him, which is a shame as I bought loads of his books on sale, about 10 of them.

7. Diziet Sma

Oh dear! We will never learn...

8. TomTB

I went through a phase of buying any book that was on sale, by any author that had been recommended to me. It's resulted in there being about 500 books sat in my kindle, a lot of which I'm probably not going to read. Ever.

Oh well.

9. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

The Priscilla Hutchins books are better than the Alex what'shisname books. Stuff actually happens in those.

10. TomTB

Cheers K. I probably have some of them so will bear in mind. It's more the fact his characters were dull, which is the biggest turn off as far as I'm concerned. Pretty much void of humour too, which doesn't sit well with me either.

11. fl1pper

fl1pper New Member

I have just started Excession by Iain M. Banks. Looking forward to this one because Player of Games is definitely in my top 10 books of all time.

12. Diziet Sma

Hi @fl1pper! Nice to see you here!
    I have read Excession and The Player of Games very recently. You might want to look at Iain Banks’s thread, and please add your comments!;)

Knock-knock, @Boreas! We have a new Culture fan!:)

Boreas likes this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I've also been off reading the last little while. I'm finding myself picking up comics instead of my book in the evenings when I decide to read instead of watching stuff on on Youtube.

14. Boreas

And welcome, @fl1pper! Excession is fun as hell!

Kanly likes this.
  15. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Hey Fl1pper. Excession is one of the Culture books that I reread along with Matter, my favorite. Glad you joined us here.

Kanly likes this.
  16. Safari Bob

Thanks to @Boreas I ordered Neverness today.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  17. Boreas

Hope you don't mind some Neanderthal sex. There's a long section in the book that is less SF and more akin to pre-historic caveman life. Occasionally, Zindell waxes philosophical, but that's a minor point. He does get into the psychological motivations of his characters well, both in Neverness and especially in the sequel trilogy. By the way, the protagonists of Neverness and the subsequent trilogy couldn't be more different, so these are definitely not recycled characters. I feel like re-reading them now, too.

18. Safari Bob

Uh-oh! This isn't like that dinosaur book @Diziet Sma was talking about, is it? :eek:

Boreas likes this.
  19. Safari Bob

I finished The Man of Legends by Johnson. It was billed as Sci-Fi but it seemed more like fantasy to me. The book started out a little slow, got better, and choked at the end. I got it for free for the Kindle so it may have been worth it.

20. Diziet Sma

Ha! I bet Neverness will lack this je ne sais quoi that only dinos can provide…:p

Safari Bob likes this.