SF Book Club

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Diziet Sma, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Share three SF books you would like to read.
    Let's see how many replies we get...

Mine are:
    1. Neverness by D. Zindell
    2. The Left Hand of the Darkness by Le Guin.
    3. Darwin’s Children#1 by G Bear
    4. The Werewolf Principle by Clifford Simak. (I'm already breaking my own rules:p)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    kenubrion likes this.
  2. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a book club. So we take the selection with the most votes and take a month in which to read and discuss at the end?

My choice is Alexi Panshin's Rite of Passage.

kenubrion likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Are you guys choosing a book for the month of September? Or is this just a general selection of books from which you're going to make selections for multiple months?

4. Diziet Sma

Just one book? You are also breaking my rules. It looks good though...

Well, September I guess. Otherwise, this reading club will end up in limbo even before it starts running. What about you?

5. Boreas

I guess I would choose the remaining SF book on my recent TBR list, which is Children of Time. But I'm also good with Rite of Passage. It's one I've always meant to read, and it's a short book.

kenubrion likes this.
  6. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Lord of Light
    The Doomsday Book
    Station Eleven
    Children of Time would be my #1 choice but my phobia prevents me from enjoying it. One review says "great book unless you're afraid of spiders". And Tchaikovsky is my new favorite author. It it's chosen I will try.

Edit: Rite of Passage looks good too.

Edit redux: The Werewolf Principle looks very good too. I like Clifford Simak. I'm going to read it and Rite of Passage whether or not they are chosen. Thanks for the great mentions.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Kanly likes this.
  7. Boreas

Since we're already almost into September, and we seem to have enough books, I've created a poll from this selection (sorry to anybody else who might want to nominate other choices - next time!). Vote for one book only. Poll expires on Sunday, the 3rd of September.

http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/srzskr/book-club-selection-for-sept-2017

I was initially thinking of reading Children of Time, but have decided to go for Rite of Passage for two reasons: because it's short and @kenubrion would probably rather avoid it for now.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Kanly and Diziet Sma like this.
  8. Diziet Sma

My choice too. But I'm easy regarding the other options.
    I have just started The Left Hand of Darkness and as Rite of Passage is brief, I might also be able to sneak in this month Simak's The Werewolf Principle, very brief book too.

Kanly likes this.
  9. kenubrion

Thanks Boreas but I'll be OK when we read it. I made it through A Deepness In The Sky so I can again. This book is just too important. I knew I would give in someday.

10. Boreas

Did you pick this book because of the cover art that was featured on the FB page?

11. Diziet Sma

No, I must have missed this cover on FB!
    I picked this title up from one of Ben's lists on the main site.
    Having said that, I have a soft spot for anything furry. But not like @TomTB! :p

12. Boreas

https://www.facebook.com/bestscienc...586987933469/1890979861227510/?type=3&theater
    For some reason I had thought you hadn't finished ADitS. Also, did you already vote?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  13. kenubrion

I'm so excited about all the new books I now have to read. I've been totally absorbed in the Powder Mage books in fantasy for the last couple weeks, as well as having run out of SF books that I wanted to read. Thanks everyone for your recs.

Safari Bob, Boreas and Diziet Sma like this.
  14. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

Great opportunity!

Happy to vote and go with whatever comes out in the wash.

Boreas, Diziet Sma and Kanly like this.
  15. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

The Left Hand of Darkness - one of my most favourite of novels.

Le Guin returns to Gethin, after about 30 years, in Coming of Age in Karhide. This shorter piece can be found in The Birthday of the World and other stories. Well worth reading. Le Guin writes of Coming of Age ... "I could see how the sex works ... I could really have fun".

Le Guin has such high levels of writerly integrity that she went on to write, in The Language of the Night, of how she might have used language slighty differently in the The Left Hand.
    For those who haven't come across The Language of the Night - essays on fantasy and science fiction, it is a collection of essays and speeches that address issues in writing science fiction and broader debates about writing.

16. Diziet Sma

Thank you for the recommendations!
    It is still early days with The Left Hand of Darkness, but I’m going to risk and predict Le Guin is going to feel a very revelational author, similar to when I discovered O. Butler.
    There is something about her narrative style that makes it very compelling. I can't believe it has taken me this long to start reading her books.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  17. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Even though I nominated Rite of Passage, after going through some of the other titles I ended up voting for Neverness. Doesn't matter, 'cause I still want to read Rite of Passage and that looks to be the winner right now.

Boreas likes this.
  18. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Oooh! I just got Neverness in the mail today!

Boreas likes this.
  19. Diziet Sma

Ha! This feels like when I'm dealing with my youngest ones at school...:p

Safari Bob and Boreas like this.
  20. Diziet Sma

Rite of Passage by Alexi Panshin is the chosen book for September. We will start a thread on the third week of this month to start discussing it. Enjoy it!