Self Published SF Recommendations

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by btkong, May 9, 2015.

1. btkong

btkong Administrator Staff Member

This thread is to compile a list of the best of the indie (self published) science fiction. There's some good stuff in the indie realm, but it's often hard to sort through all the crap.

Know about a diamond in the rough science fiction book that's not yet been picked up by a major publisher? Then share it here!

By indie science fiction we are talking about SELF PUBLISHED or works published by small print presses that are NOT mainstream publishers (the big six like Harper Collins, TOR, Bantam, etc).

Note: this is not a forum for self published authors to hawk their works. I want legit recommendations. You are not allowed to promote your OWN works here. If I suspect this, you will be shamed for it on this forum!

2. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Fortune's Rising - Sara King
    Koban series - Steven Bennett
    Frontier's Saga - Ryk Brown
    Legend of Zero - Sara King
    Pennsylvania Omnibus - Michael Bunker
    In Her Name series - Michael Hicks
    Terms of Enlistment/Frontlines series - Marco Kloos
    Wool Omnibus - Hugh Howey
    Sand Omnibus - Hugh Howey
    The Slaver Wars series - Raymond Weil
    Hardwired - Walter Jon Williams

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Walter Jon Williams isn't indie. Pretty sure these books were all put out by major publishers, reviewed heavily and critically acclaimed.

4. kenubrion

Actually only the Dread Empire series was published by someone other than Walter Jon Williams or Amazon Digital Services. Praxis et al were published by HarperCollins.

5. kenubrion

Edward Robertson - The 8-volume Breakers saga, followed by the great space opera series called Rebel Stars, which picks up a thousand years after the end of Breakers.

6. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I have some indie sf I like (I knock around with both indie and published authors, so get to see a bit of both)

Ralph Kern's Endeavour - about the Fermi Paradox - gets good reviews, pretty much all the time.
    For military sf (one of the strong indie genres) I like Tim C Taylor and PP Corcoran.