Sci Fi authors writing outside the genre

Discussion in 'Other Literature' started by hrafnwasser, Aug 26, 2017.

1. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

Ursula Le Guin Lavinia

I have a great fondness and immense respect for this historical novel by Le Guin. She has created, with her usual sensitivity and sensibilities, a remarkable evocation of the beginnings of Latium, the bronze age region near the mouth of the river Tiber.

The roman "creation myth" of Vergil's Aeneid, that is the story of Aeneas, is her starting point for what she calls a "meditative interpretation suggested by a minor character in his story - the unfolding of a hint".

Lavinia is the daughter of King Latinus and it is through her eyes Le Guin imagines, convincingly, the lives and minds of women and men of prehistory.

Without revealing more of the story and spoiling the read I would recommend Lavinia without reservation.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

This is actually first on my list to read by Le Guin once I get back to her!

Another one that was recently mentioned on the main SF reading thread is M. John Harrison's Climbers, which is contemporary fiction with some autobiographical elements. M. John Harrison and Michael Moorcock used to regularly go climbing together with other friends.

Margret Atwood is the one genre author I can think of who has regularly flitted back and forth from mainstream and science fiction.

I know there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment. I believe Zelazny wrote an historical novel in collaboration with someone else - I had made a note of it to get in future, but I can't recall the title at the moment. Oh, and mathematician & SF author Rudy Rucker wrote a work of historical fiction-cum-biography on the Dutch Renaissance painter Bruegel.

hrafnwasser likes this.
  3. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I can think of Poul Anderson, A. A. Attanasio, Dan Simmons, @Boreas, didn’t I. Banks also write some non-SF books?

4. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

I read Banks's Wasp Factory before I read his Sci Fi. Stonemouth and The Quarry are very good reads.

5. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Of course! Can't believe that slipped my mind. He's considered to be amongst the top and most influential post-WWII British authors for his mainstream fiction after all!

6. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Stephenson has written thrillers as well as historical fiction.

Nearly half of Bank's fiction was not SF. He also wrote non-fiction, as does William Gibson and Stephenson.