Say hello and introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Great introduction @Don Schneider, and you're very welcome here whenever you find the time. I think we're all voracious readers here, and not just for science fiction. Will be looking forward to hearing what books you're reading and your opinions on them.

2. Don Schneider

Don Schneider Full Member

Thank you again!

3. Hermann Morr

Hermann Morr Full Member

Hello, someone told me of this forum.

Dtyler99 likes this.
  4. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Have a look around at some of the threads and get the feel of the place. Make yourself at home. Tell us a little about you and what you like to read. The folks here are quite wonderful.

Boreas likes this.
  5. Hermann Morr

Hermann Morr Full Member

I have a preference for hard science fiction and vintage sci-fi pre-80s. Some fantasy works too, but finding good fantasy is harder.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Boreas

I also think finding really good fantasy is harder. Examples of some you like?

7. ITviking

ITviking New Member

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I enjoy Science Fiction story telling, whether it be in books, movies or television. Right now I'm exploring some older classics in paperback books. My latest pick up ("Have Spacesuit - Will Travel") I have never read, though I've enjoyed other stories by Robert Heinlein. Judging the book by its cover... or title at least... this one feels like a young reader's introduction to Sci-fi. Still its one I've heard of before, and I always feel that if you've heard of it, then its probably worth reading even just to get a sense of its contribution to popular culture.

I do have a question though... more of a general book media question than anything else. The copy I picked up was printed by Ballantine - Del Rey Books in 1984. Its the same size as a paperback, and inside appears to be more like a paperback novel. However, it has a hard cover. Any idea what 'format' of book this is? Still considered a 'hard cover'? I'll try linking a picture.

[​IMG]

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  8. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

Generally, classic volumes by famous authors are reprinted in many different forms to make them "stand out" and increase sales by their uniqueness. I've seen the Heinlein juveniles in hardback before and I think it's just a gimmick. 1984 sounds about right for Ballantine-Del Rey to resuscitate the series.

In any event, I thoroughly enjoy the Heinlein juveniles and Have Spacesuit Will Travel is right up there with Citizen of the Galaxy. Enjoy!

9. Boreas

Welcome, @ITviking! It's strange that I read just about all the SF works of Asimov and Clarke, but never got around to reading Heinlein except for Stranger in a Strange Land. Which Heinlein book would either you or @Dtyler99 recommend as a good starting point?

As for the paperback-sized hardcover, I believe I once owned a similar version of Card's Ender's Game. I never thought much of it at the time, but thinking back I actually liked the format. All the convenience of a pb, but with the added strength of a hc.