Say hello and introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Hi @Gideon Marcus, and welcome! If you place your cursor on your username at the top-right hand corner of the page, a drop down menu should appear with an option for Avatar which you can click to upload an image. If it doesn't allow you to upload an image, then that means you have to post a minimum of five times before that option becomes available.

2. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Hi Shadow. Nice entrance post.

4. kenubrion

Hi Gideon. Welcome aboard.

5. Kanly

Kanly Full Member

Hello, I've followed this site's FB page for a while (mostly for the artwork, but I also like the articles that are posted). I've also lurked here occasionally but didn't join 'cause I didn't think I'd be coming here much to warrant it. Anyway, I decided to take the plunge. I started off reading SF with authors like the good Dr. Asimov and Clarke and Bester and Herbert. My absolute favourite SF novel is probably Dune (I even love the movie, eep). I've been checking out the new stuff that's been coming out over the last ten or so years and it's sort of overwhelming. Too much and hard to narrow it down. I did read Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion just some weeks back and that blew me away!

kenubrion and TomTB like this.
  6. Boreas

Hi @Kanly, and welcome! I love Lynch's adaptation of Dune as well, despite all its problems! I did not enjoy the TV mini-series they did as much as the film. While the mini-series was much more faithful to the book, it was bland and had none of the messianic essence which Lynch managed to capture.

7. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! I've just started my first re-read of Hyperion. Just finished the soldier's tale ... with that awkward moment when he gets down and dirty with the Shrike. Ouch!

8. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Welcome @Kanly! I believe we might have already exchanged some comments in FB. :) (Elvira)

9. kenubrion

Nice opening post, Kanly. Glad you are here.

10. Kanly

Kanly Full Member

Thanks for the welcome, all!

Boreas, I feel the same way! Lynch's Dune had the full feel and flavour and tone of the book. And besides, it's freaking impressive that he was able to compress such a complicated story in a little over two hours of screen time, more or less coherently.

TomTB, that scene is a huge case of shrinkage.

Diziet Sma! Or should I say Elvira of the fashionable boots? But now that I know you're a Culture Contact personnel, it all makes sense!

kenubrion, thanks for the welcome.

TomTB and Diziet Sma like this.
  11. JamceWilliam

JamceWilliam Full Member

A newbie here, Hello everyone, I am Jamce William and like to read books.

kenubrion and Diziet Sma like this.
  12. kenubrion

Hi JamceWilliam welcome aboard! I'm a William too. Well it's spelled kenubrion but it's pronounced William.

Diziet Sma and TomTB like this.
  13. JamceWilliam

JamceWilliam Full Member

hi. Actually, my real Name is Awe William.

14. Boreas

Hi. I'm curious...is there a different pronunciation for your first name or is it the regular version?