Say hello and introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Well, best of luck. I hope you find a solution both enjoyable and profitable.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

So would you be able to read and enjoy Cixin Liu's SF in the original?

3. irrlicht

irrlicht Full Member

I am and I do :D Brought back the first novel in his 三体 (Three Body Problem) series on my last trip to China. Although I am admittedly slow with it.

And Diziet, thank you! I hope so too.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  4. Boreas

I always find it impressive when someone can read and write languages where the frame of reference is totally alien! I'll be reading it, too, but in translation of course!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  5. irrlicht

irrlicht Full Member

It takes effort, but less than it seems. Took me four years to attain fluency in Chinese. Granted, it was in a university context and one of those years was spent in China, but I think people overestimate the difficulties of learning "hard" languages. The most important thing is to keep using it.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Languages are terribly unforgiving. If you don't use them constantly, they just poof...

7. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Howdy!

I primarily read sci-fi as an adolescent but strayed into other genres. Recently, I have been reading more and more after picking up Eon by Greg Bear last year. I am looking forward to reading the discussions and maybe even posting every now and then. :)

Now, if I could just figure out how to set my profile pic!

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  8. Boreas

Hi @Safari Bob! Glad to have you here and hope you'll drop by often and tell us all the things you've been reading! As for your profile picture, if you click on "Avatar" when the drop-down menu appears as you hover your cursor over your profile name at the top-right, you should be able to change it. And I'm not sure...but there might be a minimum 5 post policy before you can upload a picture. If not, then you should be able to do it right away.

9. Safari Bob

@Boreas Thank you for the welcome and info!

Boreas likes this.
  10. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Regular Member

Hello, all. Very happy to have found this eminently thoughtful board (as opposed to the fanboy drivel on Reddit and the like). I'm Don from the San Francisco Bay Area, and have read SFF since 13. A writer by trade--primarily in high tech brand development and marketing --I attended UCLA's Film & TV school. Took a break in the mid 80s to refine my fiction chops, but the siren call of cash from work put an end to that after selling a few short stories. Marriage...kids...yadda yadda yadda. Now that I've become so disgusted with the current tech ethos in Silicon Valley, I am writing again and am in the process of gaining representation for a series of SF novels and things are progressing nicely.

There is plenty of execrable SFF out there and I am always on the hunt for really good new stuff (have to read your genre!) and was intrigued by the thoughtfulness and sophistication I've found here. Pat yourselves on the back. Look forward to lively debate.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

You clearly haven't read many of my posts! :)

Welcome to the forum!

12. Boreas

Welcome @Dtyler99, and happy to have you here in this very small corner (for now) of SF&F enthusiasts! And congratulations and good luck on your gaining representation for your writing! What kind of SF novel are you writing?

13. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Regular Member

Well, it's a cross-genre mashup. Think of an inverted A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court as perhaps told by Mike Carey's Felix Cantor with blockbuster film-making, quantum physics, noxious alien politics, romance, family, cosmology, dragons, and military SF. Oh. And the unreliable narrator is a 2017 Earthan with an extremely foul mouth and a penchant for snarky pop culture references.

14. Boreas

Seems like a real hodgepodge of influences. The Earthman with a penchant for snarky pop culture references makes me think of Farscape's John Crichton.

15. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Regular Member

Well, the story is hilarious (and serious by turns, but mostly hilarious). It shamelessly grabs at tropes and turns them on their heads because the narrator has no recollection of who he's supposed to be and doesn't know SF from Scientology. When it comes down to it, it's a big , snarky fish out of water story told as a "memoir" ripped directly from Gene Wolfe's fourth-wall breaking narrative style as in The Book of the New Sun.

16. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Hello Boreas! We met last night on the Minions best sci-fi thread ; Kristine aka Shadow. My phone died just as I found the link ; since it was 4am I opted to check it out today.
    I've been reading sci-fi since I could read; my family watched shows like Star Trek & Twilight Zone, and I loved Dark Shadows as a kid. The Apollo Moon landing had a huge impression on me; I also saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in the movie theater & sci-fi claimed me for life ! Heinlein & Asimov were my favorite childhood authors. I picked up The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart off my moms bookshelf, which sent me into a mythology binge which delighted the school librarians. A librarian suggested The Hobbit at one point, which led me into a fantasy frenzy. My bookworm has evolved into a Book Dragon, which consumes sci-fi , fantasy, and horror equally. I belong to a Lovecraft reading group that meets at a local game shop ( basically my idea cause I've played RPGs for years). I review genre books for an independent bookstore; the owner is an open-minded Muggle who has zero interest in sci-fi. I post reviews on Goodreads for any ARCs that are gifted to me. Romance gives my Book Dragon indigestion so I avoid those. I work part time at an independent movie theater; I admin the Fb page & design nerdy displays for all the fanboys & fangrrls. My Muggle restaurant job pays the bills in my Muggle life. I have writing ambitions but find it difficult to sit still for longer than a movie. I have an ecological dystopian story started, which gets more attention in the winter. My RL friends don't read much, so my social life is mainly on FB. ‍♀️

kenubrion and Boreas like this.
  17. Safari Bob

Welcome!

18. Diziet Sma

19. Boreas

Welcome to the forum, @Shadow! Very glad you decided to drop by after our SF book conversation!

I know what you mean, most of the people I know in the Real are not SF readers (I used to know one big SF reader but lost touch with him years ago), so discovering forum discussion groups in 2013 was a real eye opener for me. Thanks for the Mary Stewart recommendation. I was vaguely aware of the name, but now I've noted her books to pick up at some point in the future.

20. Gideon Marcus

Gideon Marcus Full Member

Hello! I am an avid reader, and I maintain the on-line presence, Galactic Journey -- a portal to 55 years ago in Science Fact and Fiction.

And I have no idea how to make a pretty profile picture or a snazzy signature. Can anyone assist? :)