Say hello and introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Well, best of luck. I hope you find a solution both enjoyable and profitable.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

So would you be able to read and enjoy Cixin Liu's SF in the original?

3. irrlicht

irrlicht Full Member

I am and I do :D Brought back the first novel in his 三体 (Three Body Problem) series on my last trip to China. Although I am admittedly slow with it.

And Diziet, thank you! I hope so too.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  4. Boreas

I always find it impressive when someone can read and write languages where the frame of reference is totally alien! I'll be reading it, too, but in translation of course!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  5. irrlicht

irrlicht Full Member

It takes effort, but less than it seems. Took me four years to attain fluency in Chinese. Granted, it was in a university context and one of those years was spent in China, but I think people overestimate the difficulties of learning "hard" languages. The most important thing is to keep using it.

Boreas likes this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Languages are terribly unforgiving. If you don't use them constantly, they just poof...

7. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Full Member

Howdy!

I primarily read sci-fi as an adolescent but strayed into other genres. Recently, I have been reading more and more after picking up Eon by Greg Bear last year. I am looking forward to reading the discussions and maybe even posting every now and then. :)

Now, if I could just figure out how to set my profile pic!

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  8. Boreas

Hi @Safari Bob! Glad to have you here and hope you'll drop by often and tell us all the things you've been reading! As for your profile picture, if you click on "Avatar" when the drop-down menu appears as you hover your cursor over your profile name at the top-right, you should be able to change it. And I'm not sure...but there might be a minimum 5 post policy before you can upload a picture. If not, then you should be able to do it right away.

9. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Full Member

@Boreas Thank you for the welcome and info!

Boreas likes this.