Say hello and introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

There have been a number of new people who've joined the discussion forum since the beginning of December till now. Welcome to all of you, and here's hoping you'll all stop by regularly to participate instead of remaining silent members!

Hi to @Lucifer Ellies, @Ella Cannon, @mortified, @Robert Eggleton, @l1izbeth29, @Humberto Robinson, @SonicAnn, @Tommy Maez, @Kenneth Heller, @Dooloverity, @connie dough, @Emma Sherwood, @Sofia Bibi, @Haleenjohn, @Sophie McLean, @Jack Ramirez, @joel noel, @unproductivemale, @keith morgan, @propmartinfra56, @ScarlettRiley, @sharonanderson, @Zoe Begum, @Adam Ivy, @Eddie Larson, @Lisa, @Anionvely, @Eloise Cok, @Emma Bonet, @Stargazer88, @upaljade, and @Wamingo Publishing.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Well, that went well! :D We are not that scary, are we...?

3. Boreas

Sad face.

4. Diziet Sma

Oh! Never sad! We shall prevail either here or in another dimension. Hopefully here for a while longer, till I get my affairs organized ready before taking off. Have I mentioned I'm running a fever...?:p

5. Boreas

Attanasio is a hell of a drug.

6. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

You won't have time for us once your shiny new kindle arrives! :(

(I was secretly super happy when you guessed 999 ... knew you had it in the bag :))

7. Diziet Sma

Thank you Tom! First time in my life I have won something this special. And, despite popping in BFBF, I always have time for my favourite forum.
    I’m a pink haired, Cybergirl to the core!:)

TomTB and Boreas like this.
  8. Boreas

Nice, you won a Kindle! I wonder when Our Mighty Admin will start doing giveaways for this forum as well. But I think he's been lost in Infinite Fun Space the whole of this last year.
    Atta girl!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. P Dee

P Dee New Member

Hi all!
    I'm going to try to pop my head in at least semi-regularly. Mainly been lurking up to now.

Been into sci-fi since I was about in primary school, partly due to a grandfather who was an engineer, and was very much into science. I'll read pretty much anything, including magazines at the dentist's surgery, but like a bit of space opera, 'hard' sf, far-future stuff, and good old social sf. But, it has to be character-driven, and I want a range in there, not the same old voices. Loving the work of Nnedi Okorafor at the minute, and Becky Chambers, for instance, but also like Nancy Kress, and David Brin.

About myself, well, not much to say. Background is in biology and wildlife management, farming, and some other stuff. I work in the wine industry at present, though. Presently wondering the best way to grow vines on a generation ship. :p

Boreas, Diziet Sma and TomTB like this.
  10. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Hi P ... welcome! We're a little group of SF fans, but we're always happy to see new members signing in and joining in!

P Dee likes this.
  11. soland

soland New Member

12. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I do believe we've met in the odd place or ten. :) Welcome!

P Dee and Boreas like this.
  13. Boreas

Hi @P Dee! Welcome and hope to see you more often!
    Don't they say the ability to brew alcohol is the mark of civilisation?

P Dee likes this.
  14. P Dee

P Dee New Member

I suspect self-justification on the part of whoever made that statement. ;-)

Boreas likes this.
  15. Boreas

We've had two new members join recently. Welcome to @ShaneGiles and @LBSpeller! Hope you'll both stop by regularly and tell us all the great SF books you're reading.

16. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Hey, I'm Jonas. I've followed the Facebook group for a while and said I'd join over the weekend. Tuesday is not exactly the weekend, but I made it after all ;)

SF has always been the core of my hobbies since I grew up with my dad's small library of ponderous old Science Fiction. There's nothing I love more than believable speculative fiction that can show me something new.
    I spent my formative years reading primarily SF from the fifties and sixties, from Asimov to Harlan Ellison, but my fascination in recent years has been mainly caught between internet-age speculative fiction like Charles Stross' brilliant (and wacky) Accelerando to more recent sweeping space opera stuff like the late Iain M. Banks or Alastair Reynolds wrote.
    As for myself, I'm a Sinologist of almost 30 who is planning to finally leave the ivory tower sometime this year and get some footing in the real world. Looking forward to some interesting discussions and new recommendations of fascinating books around here!

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  17. Boreas

Hi Jonas! Glad you dropped by! I've not had a chance to read much Stross aside from his Singularity Sky, but Banks and Reynolds are favourites. Now that Banks has buggered off on the Sleeper Service, Reynolds and Stephenson are probably my two favourite living SF authors as of now.

18. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Singularity Sky is a wonderful book by itself. I've always loved how crazy Stross' writing is, yet still grounded in some sort of reality. I can only recommend Accelerando, it manages to tell a tale of how a world still recognizably ours turns into something from Singularity Sky or Glass House within a generation or so.
    I'm still sad Banks is gone. On that note, Excession happens to be my favourite novel of his. While I love his writing, reading Excession first always made me feel a tiny twinge of disappointment there was rarely much ship to ship chatter in his other Culture novels. Glad to be welcome. I never had much opportunity to meet people who are into the same stories I am.

19. Diziet Sma

Welcome, Jonas!

What professional direction is sinology taking you, if you don’t mind me asking? I tried Mandarin a few years back and failed miserably. I don’t think tonal languages and I are made for each other.

20. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Thank you!

Haha now that is a good question. Politely put, I keep my mind open for all possibilities. Meaning, I have no idea where I will end up doing what. Some people go into tourism or translation. I am more interested in intercultural communication, which is kind of an emerging field helping companies coordinate cultural differences and resulting problems. I'm not really a business guy, though. My studies are primarily historical, but try finding a job in academia.. There's probably like 5 jobs in all of Germany and not terribly much more in the anglophone world. For now, my goal is to do something with China and finally be able to afford furniture that matches. :D
    I'm always glad to hear people trying their hand at Mandarin. The main problem for a more difficult language like that is you need to use it regularly or it's just gone immediately.