Say hello and introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. David Bridger

David Bridger Full Member

Hello.

I'm David Bridger, SFF author and ravenous reader.

I'm in the process of going indie, so have got my rights back to all my published SF books and all except two of my fantasy books. Some of these will probably reappear at some point, but for now I'm concentrating on several new novels I'll be publishing over the next year or so.

I miss Iain Banks a lot. Have a tall to-read pile on my bedside table, but once I've reduced that by about half I intend to reread all the Culture novels. Probably during summer next year. I'm pencilling in the Culture marathon as a reward for writing the first book in a space opera series that I'm planning at the moment.

2. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

Hello, all SF lovers. I chose ecgordon as a username on several different forums back in '99 when I first got on the net, or alternately "easygordon". He's the hero of Heinlein's Glory Road, and although that is not my favorite of his books, he's one of my favorite characters. Other than a few juveniles (Danny Dunn, Tom Swift, etc) when I was a kid, the first true SF book I read was Stranger in a Strange Land. I know that's not a good one for most people to start on, but my best friend who recommended it knew it was the right one for me at the time. It was 1967, we were juniors in high school, and had become big fans of Star Trek, when he suggested I should start reading SF. I haven't stopped yet.

My original ISP was Prodigy, and before they were merged with SBC-Global and then later Yahoo, they had a lot of community bulletin boards, the two I was most active on were the SF and the Books and Writing communities. I started writing a few articles on Heinlein and other writers I liked, didn't get much response, then decided to start my own site. On July 27, templetongate.net will celebrate its sixteenth year online. Several of those years I didn't contribute many reviews, but I'm retired now, and have been reading (and re-reading) a lot more than I had time for while working. I'll keep it up for as long as I can afford to buy books and pay for the domain name and hosting.

Not sure how active I will be here, I've spent more time here today than I should have, but it's good to know old fashioned message boards still exist.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  3. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Hey Easy G .. welcome to the forum! Would be great if you stuck around .. sounds as though you could teach some of us 'youngsters' a thing or two :)

I'll be sure to check out your site when I get a sec!

Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Don't say that Easy G (to borrow @TomTB's construction), it'll be great to have you and your extensive SF background on here! I also took a cursory look at your site. That's quite a resource you've got there. You've been doing it all yourself for all these years?

5. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

The majority by myself, probably at least 95%. If you click on "Dossiers" in the menu options on the left of the screen you can see other people who have contributed reviews, but the majority of those were in the early years, very few in the past five years or so. I've tried to persuade David Longhorn to contribute more, since he is very knowledgeable on UK writers, but he says his day job and editing Supernatural Tales doesn't leave him much time for other stuff.

6. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

Hi. I'm J.Grey. I was born in London but now live in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I left England around 5 years ago and rode here overland by motorcycles across 23 countries, so far. Motorcycles and Sci-Fi are two of my main passions. I'm an author, I had several works published a good many years ago, the publisher has since vanished in a puff of legal-action. I now am building up my Amazon Kindle profile thanks to meeting a dude in town who does that kind of thing. My first book through the gate was 'Those Two Idiots' which is doing rather well. It is a factual account of my overland journey undertaken by myself and 'Marcin' who is an obnoxious Polish dude whose farts set off car alarms. Consequently the book isn't to be taken seriously and stands as an account of two grown men bickering like children and drinking too much beer. I also have one out called 'The Box' but I saw the online version which was meant to have been proofed and edited and it's just shockingly bad. I've written a completely new version which will go live as soon as my new proof-reading guy gets finished with it.
    My latest (and best/worst) work is a proper Sci-Fi with space-ships and guns and stuff. It's called 'Serves. No Useful Purpose' and is a comedy with a British sense of humour.
    I also teach English and have a motorcycle rental company. I also have a 3 month old baby and will never buy a Chinese condom again.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  7. Boreas

Welcome @j.grey! Did you pass through the Himalayas on your motorcycle road trip?

You're not a Culture agent by any chance are you?
    (!)

8. Jack Brewhouse

I got pretty close, I went from India to Nepal. We rode up to Kathmandu (amazing place) and then sadly, Burma was closed due to them hiding all the mass graves so we had to fly to Thailand, stripping the bikes into boxes. I still feel cheated out of the end of the trip but we made up for it in Thailand.

A 'culture agent'? I'm not at all sure what that is. It has a slightly weird title because it's about two guys, equal protagonists on board a space ship. One, Rob, is a waiter (hence he 'serves') and Dave is a complete idiot who is given a special job that has no useful purpose. So the title sums up the both. I have two short stories and the naming convention is the same, 'Stressed out. At the interview' and 'Losing. The will to live.' They should be free on my website very soon, it's under maintenance right now.

9. Boreas

Reference to Iain M. Banks' Culture novels. "Serves. No Useful Purpose" sounds like the kind of tongue-in-cheek designation a hyper-intelligent artificial Mind running a diplomatic Contact ship might give itself.

10. Jack Brewhouse

Oh, no. My book is set in the imagination of a sentient brick holding open a toilet door somewhere in Turkey. I mean, all good books are, aren't they?

11. Boreas

You're not going to believe this, but that sounds pretty much like a Culture General Systems Vehicle! Both metaphorically and physically!

12. Jack Brewhouse

Seriously? That's weird. Well, the book is available free this weekend, get hold and let me know what you think. Actually, I'll do 'Those Two Idiots' too for free. We had a few 'problems' so the international motorcycle fraternity called us 'those two idiots' so it kind of sucked. People says it's a good fun read. Go nuts, they'll be free this weekend.

I'd value your opinion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Serves-Use...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1468150674&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Those-Two-...?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1468249622&sr=1-3

13. unproductivemale

unproductivemale New Member

Hello all.

Just joined the forum so looking forward to getting involved.

I have been reading Science Fiction and fantasy since my mid teens. My consumption largely depends on getting free time.

I have just finished Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Quite enjoyed it, although I thought his female characters tended to be quite one dimensional.

Anywho, nice to be a part of the group.

David.

Boreas and jo zebedee like this.
  14. TomTB

Welcome! See you around :)

15. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

16. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Waves hello :)

17. Jack Brewhouse

Wow, someone new to talk to. This is a serious sci-fi literary forum so I hope you enjoy coffee, alcohol and irony.

18. TomTB

But not necessarily in that order.

Jack Brewhouse likes this.
  19. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Hi David, welcome. My name is Tommy and I became aware this year.

Boreas likes this.
  20. Boreas

Welcome, David! This is good spot for unproductive activities. Just be wary of newly self-aware programmes testing their parameters and configurations.