Say hello and introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Here is the page where you tell us something about yourself and your love of genre fiction, what started you off and anything else that you'd like to mention.

For myself, I've been a science fiction/fantasy reader since I was about 8 years old and have had about two unusually intense SF&F reading phases previous to the one I'm going through now. One was between the ages of about 11-14 and another between 18-22. The rest of the time I read SF&F with some slight consistency at best, but mostly sporadically. Since mid-2013, I've been on another unusually intense SF&F phase where I'm catching up on many of the authors I missed out on post-2000 + attempting to re-read many old favourites and sample all those classic authors I never got around to.

Wmrussel likes this.
  2. Khartun

Khartun Full Member

I got signed up!

Nice to see @Boreas is the Mod! Good choice!

TomTB likes this.
  3. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

Yay! I'm here! 47th times the charm :p

Happy to be here. I think we'll have a good group here.

TomTB likes this.
  4. Boreas

47 tries, huh? You get the fandom award for perseverance. You definitely have heroic farm-boy chops!

Wmrussel likes this.
  5. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

I may have exaggerated a touch.;)

Wmrussel likes this.
  6. Boreas

Still eligible.

7. ofer

ofer Regular Member

Made it here as well. Who let @Boreas play dungeon master? We'll be up to our necks with cheeky AIs in no time. :)

8. Boreas

You say that as if cheeky AIs are a bad thing. But Tom's supposed to be elevated to Hub status, too, whenever the admin gets around to it.

9. Haven

Haven Full Member

Aaaand I'm jacked in.

Now if only I can find my profile pic...

10. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

Welcome! Glad you joined us.

11. Butch Meathook

Butch Meathook Full Member

Greetings! I started reading science fiction not so long ago - after reading some wild, crazy stuff by Iain M. Banks and China Mieville. I have always been fascinated by sci-fi but mostly through movies and games. Books now have become also very enjoyable precisely because they offer a much more wider field for the imagination to go wild and to draw events and landscapes unheard of before.

Boreas likes this.
  12. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Full Member

Welcome to the forums @Butch Meathook! You'll find Iain M. Banks to be pretty popular round these parts.

13. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I seem to have stumbled in just after a rebirthing. I'm a lifelong SFF nerd and can't remember what I read first, but I was reading both SF and Fantasy prolifically by the time I was 12. Hard to say who my favourites are because I'm still on a lifelong journey of discovery.

14. Boreas

Hi @Alicia, what got you back into SF&F? I'm a lifelong SF&F reader too, but was hardly reading much during the latter half of the noughties. Then I picked up Peter Watts' "Blindsight" sometime in 2011 and then Ernest Clines' "Ready Player One". Those got me back into genre reading (especially "Blindsight").

15. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member

I've always consistently been into SFF, although admittedly I shifted more towards movies than books during the 80s-90s because there just wasn't the quality of stories that there was in the 1960s, apart from the Amber series and a few more Darkover books. My search for the next great story never ends.

16. Mako

Mako New Member

Greetings and salutations.

I am Mako. I was recommended to start participating in these forums by one of the administrators, Boreas, an old friend. I have been an avid consumer and fan of both Fantasy and Science Fiction for about two decades and it is, for the most part, irrelevant to me the medium it is presented in as long as it is good. The most recent good Sci-Fi shows I've come across include: The Expanse, 12 Monkeys (still watching the 1st season), Hunters seems interesting, Extant and a few others. For Fantasy I will just mention The Shannara Chronicles and that with some hesitation as there was, to me, a lot of "Teen Drama" in it, but I tolerated it due having read about 1/2 dozen Shannara books back in the day and I enjoyed all of them. If anyone can suggest really good Fantasy and Sci-Fi (whether book, movie or series) I would greatly appreciate it or any other input.

Until anon.

17. Boreas

Hail Mary @Mako, this is a surprise! It's been like a year since I mentioned you might enjoy chatting SF&F here, but I didn't actually think I'd see you on the boards. How's things in T-dot?

18. Nestor Pires Filho

Nestor Pires Filho Full Member

Good day! I am an old science fiction and fantasy reader, having started with Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov, H. G. Wells and others... Nowadays I have been devouring Robert Heinlein, James P. Hogan, Greg Bear and Sheri S. Tepper books (which I like to re-read several times). I am a huge fan of scifi and fantasy movies and series.

Boreas likes this.
  19. Boreas

Welcome Nestor! Sheri S. Tepper's Grass has been on my list for a long time! And I need to read more from all the authors you've mentioned!

20. Nestor Pires Filho

Nestor Pires Filho Full Member

I take part in some "book lovers" groups and each of them has its own rules... so, if it is against the rules of this one, sorry! I have several tittles in English (some in Portuguese but I don't think many of you would be interested) bot in .mobi and in .epub formats (also few in .pdf format). Please let me know if someone wants something (for free, of course).