Recommended Robert Heinlein's books

Discussion in 'Robert A. Heinlein' started by Nestor Pires Filho, May 23, 2016.

1. Nestor Pires Filho

Nestor Pires Filho Full Member

For those who didn't have the opportunity to read something from this amazing author, I would suggest to start by the short story "By His Bootstraps". I have it in digital form for those who might want it (English).

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Is it available in any short story collection by Heinlein or in an anthology? I've not read any Heinlein except for Stranger in a Strange Land.

3. Nestor Pires Filho

Yes, but I cannot recall its title now... I have almost all my favorites authors book but recently - purely from the practical side since I do travel a lot and was carrying to much book weight - I have them downloaded in my Kindle... so now this story stands on its own. I will have to check in my library to be sure of the short stories collection where this is. But if you have read only Stranger in a Strange Land, I would recommend also the titles "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", "The Puppet Masters" and mainly and above all the great "Job, a Comedy of Justice" and "I will fear no Evil"!

4. Boreas

Yes, I've heard The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is considered his most sophisticated and best book. I do want to read more Heinlein, but I've been thinking of reading his juvenile novels first before I get to his mid-period writings when he supposedly was at his best. Do you have any recommendations for which of his juveniles I should start with? Otherwise, I was thinking of starting with his first, Rocket Ship Galileo, and basically going in mostly publication order.

5. Nestor Pires Filho

I do like "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" very much (I've lost the count on how many times I have re-read it) but I am not sure this is his most sophisticated work... "Job, a Comedy of Justice" is far more sophisticated, including his puns on religion. I don't know the publication order but it seems an interesting idea... Have you read James P. Hogan yet? It would be a nice step forward in relation to Heinlein's work...

6. Boreas

Yes, I've read Inherit the Stars and Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan many years ago. Enjoyed them both very much. I know there are sequels to Inherit the Stars, but I never got a chance to read them.

As for Heinlein, I definitely think I'd like to read some of his juvenile works first. So, if you don't have any recommendation for those, I think I'll probably pick up Rocket Ship Galileo and go from there.

7. Nestor Pires Filho

Inherit the Stars is the first book of the five-books-trilogy of "The Giants", which I love! "Two faces of Tomorrow" is also a great work... but I would try "The Protheus Operation", "Paths to Otherwhere" and "The Multiplex Man" if I was you...

Boreas likes this.
  8. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's currently available, but the last time "By Your Bootstraps" was collected was in Off The Main Sequence, which I got from SFBC. Another mind-bending time travel tale is "All You Zombies," which was the basis of the recent movie Predestination with Ethan Hawke.

My personal first recommendation for Heinlein would be the novella "The Man Who Sold the Moon." It's in print in a collection with that title from Baen Books. But if you can find a used copy of The Past Through Tomorrow at a reasonable price you should grab it. "TMWSTM" is in it, as well as the majority of his Future History stories, and it concludes with the short novel, Methuselah's Children.

His best novel is The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, followed by Starship Troopers, Friday, Glory Road & Stranger in a Strange Land. My opinion only of course.

For anyone interested in exploring Heinlein, and if it's allowed for a new member to post this, I invite you to check out some of the articles I've written about his work - http://templetongate.net/rahmain.htm

Boreas likes this.
  9. Boreas

Sounds good, I'll take a look.

10. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Job is a great book! I just read that no too long ago.

11. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

First SFF book I ever read was Starship Troopers when I was 13. Went on to read Stranger in a Strange Land, Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and loved everything in The Past Through Tomorrow. Then I got into his juveniles and snapped 'em up like peanuts. They're all great fun; my favorite is Citizen of the Galaxy. Friends of mine steered me from Heinlein's 80s production (i.e., The Number of the Beast, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls), although I do want to read Job someday. Stayed away from Heinlein for a long, long time until someone bought me a 1st edition of I Will Fear No Evil, which was revolting. Tried again last month with Glory Road, but it just seems like so much male wish fulfillment. Of course, Heinlein came of age in the golden age and propagated the pulps, but having read so many more viewpoints over the last 40+ years, he now comes off as hackneyed.