Recommendations for TV series/movies

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Jack Brewhouse, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

What do you recommend me to watch? I don't like television particularly. I used to like 'The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse' which saw a brief and bizarre stint by Ralph Bakshi where the comedy was totally inappropriate for children. In one satirical episode, MM said, "Now I know why television is a medium, because nothing is rare or well-done."
    I'm with him on that one. It is unusual to see something of really good quality. Well, recently I watched Game of Thrones with my partner. She loved it, she now walks around the house quoting it and telling James that he knows nothing, Jon Snow. It's a bit strange really.
    Anyway, what quality shows are out there and worth watching? I like series like Breaking Bad, Daredevil (the recent netflix version), Battlestar Galactica (recent), Penny Dreadful, Walking dead (original) and Game of Thrones.
    She can't really get into things that are too slow. There has to be some action since English is not her first language and she has the attention span of a goldfish. I hate action so it also needs to have interesting characters and a decent plot.
    Movies she enjoys are anything with Jason Statham since he's bald and she has this idea that he looks like me (he doesn't), From Dusk Till Dawn, anything Marvel (the characters she knows as 'Handsome man' and 'Man with strong clothes', yeah, that took me some time to work out), James Bond (any) and anything with zombies.
    So... what do you recommend?

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I like noir, crime and police drama, so you might not like these recommendations: Obviously The Wire, then I also liked The Shield, Sons of Anarchist (bike gang, club/mafia, very violent at time) The Killing(original danish) The Bridge(original danish/swedish) Dexter, a psychopath killer trying to channel his killing urges in a constructive way.

Horror/Fantasy: American Horror Story Season 1 and 2. I couldn’t finish 3rd season. Stranger Things (last hit in Netflix) I also loved Carnival: a circus/freak company in the US during the years of economical depression. Deadwood, a drama set in the wild west with fantastic developed characters, political corruption, violence and of course some love. It is grim and bleak. I guess a very real depiction from that era.

I guess this is like talking about food. What I like, you might not stand…:eek:

3. Jack Brewhouse

Carnival looks good. Did it have a proper conclusion or just get cancelled. I quite liked Dexter but it finished around the same time as Breaking Bad, which had a perfect ending while the Dexter ending seemed a bit weak. I've got 'Stranger Things' on standby. Is it good? I've read a lot about Montauk and the alleged experiments the story is based on.
    American Horror story is good, each series is a self contained story, is that right?

4. Jack Brewhouse

I saw the American 'The Killing' and thought it was really good, especially the last season. I also really liked the UK adaptation of 'Humans' and the series, 'Black Mirror' and 'Utopia', all ore worth a look if you like smart sci-fi.

5. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

For crime shows, I really liked the two seasons of The Fall with Gillian Anderson. Top-notch psychological crime drama. Haven't yet checked on whether the 3rd season is done. I was under the impression it was on hiatus while Anderson went back to the X-Files.

I'll also recommend the police procedural drama Engrenages which I thought was really good. Saw the 1st season last year but haven't gotten around to continuing.

And maybe BBC's The Hour for a period piece dealing with journalism during the Cold War? It's a drama/thriller. Again, only saw the 1st season, but loved it.

6. Diziet Sma

@j.grey
    Carnivale was cancelled after two seasons, even though it wasn’t a cliffhanger ending, it felt a a bit unfinished. I still personally think it is worth watching.
    American Horror Stories are comprised by independent stories each season. I enjoyed season 1 and 2. After that, I lost interest.
    Stranger Things is a fun watch, a bit cliché but visually very clever. It reminded me a bit of Guillermo del Toro’s Pan’s Labyrinth film.
    I personally like better The Killing Danish version than the US one. Maybe because I watched it first, maybe because I found the characterisation, ambience and pace more engaging and authentic. It is in Danish with English subtitles though.
    Black Mirror is a very clever production.
    I’ll look up Humans and Utopia but I already know they are not available in Netflix CH…

@Boreas, I haven’t watched The Fall but I have found it in Nexflix so I have saved it. Engrenages looks really good too but it hasn't reached CH yet. Funny how words sometimes travel across languages; almost identical in French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian. Of course in German is utterly different...:confused:

7. Jack Brewhouse

I did see the first series of the Fall, it was a quality production but seemed to go nowhere, the series just cut off, no cliffhanger, it just felt like the whole end of season was missing. I like Gillian Anderson, she's matured well and fits the role nicely. For the most part, I liked the new X-files too. What about movies? I have to recommend 'Triangle' and 'The man from Earth'. Not strictly sci-fi but both are awesome and original thinking-person movies. Don't look them up, it will spoil it.
    Humans was a very simple story but works very well, Utopia is great. It's shot in pastel colours so it looks like a comic book but has a dark undercurrent that gets right under your skin.

8. Boreas

I thought of another TV show that I really enjoyed watching some three years ago: ReGenesis, a Canadian show that ran for 4 seasons between 2004-8.

It concerns a group of scientists (molecular biologists, virologists, etc) who work for the fictional North American Biotechnology Advisory Commission (NorBAC) based in Toronto. They investigate all kind of weird diseases that might spring up anywhere in Canada, the U.S. & Mexico, biological terrorism, and environmental changes due to viruses/bacteria. It's 4 seasons long and I quite enjoyed it. The first two seasons were particularly good with hints of larger and more ominous story arcs (concerning politicians and/or the industrial military machine). I understood that many of the of viruses/bacteria they deal with are real or, at least, have very real analogues, so I had the show down more as a science/techno thriller. By the third season and, especially, the final season it takes a turn into science fiction with some of the procedures and plot lines that they develop. It was very fascinating and quite scary to have shown the tenuous balance between civilisation and nature, and just how easily (worse, how casually) it can all be disrupted to epic proportions.

Good writing, good plot(s) (for individual episodes & the overarching storylines per season), good dialogue, good balance between investigative science - brainstorming, hypothesis development, field work, lab processes - and political or bureaucratic manoeuvring with three government agencies plus military, and real micro-biology (I'm a layman, so take my statement with a grain of salt, but I was convinced). I'd say intelligent and very competent characters for the most part. Two personal relationship angles that annoyed me - in season one between father-daughter, and in season 4 between an idiot-savant molecular biologist and his lover.

Safari Bob likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

I think I might need to move to another country... just check it out in Netflix CH and surprise, surprise, is not available. Jeez, boring!

10. Boreas

You can stream it online, but you'll have to close some pop-ups quickly. Quality will be decent, but if you want HD quality, then you'll have to download. I usually use either the movpod or gorillavid links.

http://onwatchseries.to/serie/regenesis

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. David Plantinga

David Plantinga New Member

The Expanse is the best science fiction series I've seen in a very long time. Don't believe the advertising that claims it's like Game of Thrones in space. It's nothing like Game of Thrones; the network's marketing department simply wants to make a comparison to the biggest hit of our time. It is a lot like Battlestar Galactica.

Safari Bob and Boreas like this.
  12. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

What else?

13. Jack Brewhouse

I really liked 'Stan Lee's Lucky Man.' OK, I know it's garbage so let's get that right out of the way. I like James Nesbitt as an actor but I do concede that this role is probably his worst. He's playing it too straight and angry and it just seems very forced. When he's doing a lighter scene or showing some emotion he's pretty solid.
    What gets me is that I've been out of London a long time and it's set in places I lived so I get a nostalgic thrill from seeing places I walked and even some things that didn't exist when I was there last.

14. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Haha sounds quite like my girlfriend.
    For something not too deep, action-packed but fun to watch, maybe try Stargate SG1. It's kind of like Star Trek with more shootimg and was quite fun. An advantage is that most plots don't exceed one or two episodes, so it's easy to follow.

15. Jack Brewhouse

I can't watch that. My brother likes it and he's widely (and correctly) considered to be a total moron. He's actually proud of, and brags about, the fact that he's never read a book in his entire adult life. Consequently, one of my missions in life is to avoid the things he likes. It's funny at Christmas, buying him books without pictures and watching his twisted, pained expression as he tries to decide if it's food or not.

16. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

Well, you're not missing out much. It was a very entertaining series, but not much more than that.

Talking about Sci-Fi series, one rather quirky favourite of mine has always been Babylon 5. The plot is pretty complex and continues over the seasons, though. Might be a little boring for your wive, to try and follow all the characters and plotlines.

17. Jack Brewhouse

I recently discovered Rick and Morty.

Boreas likes this.