Reading order

Discussion in 'Iain M. Banks' started by TomTB, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I'm nearly done with Use of Weapons, and next in publication order is a set of short stories, The State of the Art. Should I read this next, is it important to, or can I jump to the next full length novel?

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

You can read them in any order you want. Pick any whose description interests you. The next published novel after The State of the Art is Excession and that is my favourite Culture instalment. You can also read his non-Culture SF. I know Against a Dark Background is @wakarimasen's favourite, but that's the only Banks book where I needed a second try to get through. But once I got through the point that was troublesome for me the first time, it was excellent like all the others. The title gives it away, it's one of his darkest. My favourite of his non-Culture SF is Feersum Endjinn. Freaking brilliant. There are some sublime moments in there, but in the sections that are written phonetically, so it takes a little bit to get used to it and then you hardly notice it. I'll say one thing for FE - you can take the easy way out because the ebook gives the option to read those phonetic sections in regular English, but that's doing the book a huge disservice, in my opinion. It is incredibly satisfying to read them in their original, phonetically written form.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Also, I thought you weren't enjoying UoW, so I wasn't expecting you to continue.

4. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Thanks B. I'm actually going to take a culture break and try something else. I'll go back to it though, with most likely Excession.