Re-reading Books

Discussion in 'Other Books' started by Boreas, May 13, 2016.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

I liked the look of it! So, I have ordered it and I'm planning (naively) to read it this summer holiday along another 200 books! What can I say? I am a optimistic:)

In the meantime, I have just started the 1st book of Koban series...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    TomTB likes this.
  2. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I'm dying to know what you think but afraid to ask.

3. Stephen Jansen

Stephen Jansen Full Member

The Man from Maybe by Leo P Kelly. One of those book that would have to be self published these days

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Maybe-...fkmr0&keywords=the+man+from+maybe+leo+p+kelly

4. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

Thomas Mann writes in the foreword of The magic mountain that his book needs to be re-read several times in order to be fulltime comprehended.
    I totally agree.

I frequently re-read books.
    There are books that I re-read for pleasure, and reading them for a second or third time feels like re-visiting old friends.
    And then there are books that I re-read cause it seemed impossible to get the essence on the first read.

It's also interesting to see in what way a book can affect you at a certain age. And how it leave you indifferent many years later.
    In my teens Hesse's Steppenwolf was my personal bible, so to say. I could totally relate to Harry Haller.
    And also to Klingsor (Klingsor's last summer).
    I re-read those books a couple of years ago and I almost couldn't stand the nagging and whining of HH.

Some books are like a mirror that reflect your ideals, dreams, wishes and hopes at a certain age.
    But then sometimes when you re-read them there's no reflection left.

kenubrion, Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Nicely put. And there are some that make the reflection even clearer. I think it's a worthwhile experience in both cases.

The former makes it clear how you've changed, either by having experiences that negate what you previously thought or held to be true, or through processes in the vein of "when I became a man, I put away childish things." The latter adds further clarity where certain experiences allow you to see the wisdom in some of those works that you couldn't fully comprehend or internalise before.

6. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

I reread a lot.
    When I finish a book I have purchased, I then decide if it goes back on the shelf or into the out pile, if it goes back on the shelf I have to reread it (or attempt) before I can remove it.

It has to be really good, or really informative for me to reread though.

7. Bierschneeman

The bay of Chesapeake, I grew up there, is the book any good?

8. Bierschneeman

Ww2 scenes, is there a ban on ww2 ever happening in Switzerland like there is in Germany?

Overexageration but still true.

9. Diziet Sma

Chesapeake is a wonderful story like most by Michener. If you are from that part of the country, then you will have an emotional connection I could only imagine. Go for it! I'm pretty sure you will love it.
    Have you read Leon Uris, I love his books as well.

The Swiss aren't particularly fond of their northerly neighbors. They are quick to criticize and to distance themselves from them. Therefore, it is very unlikely they would ban any WW2 scenes. Most probably there are some restrictions regarding copyright.

10. Boreas

I've always had the impression that the Swiss aren't really fond of anyone. Maybe they don't mind Lichtenstein?

11. Diziet Sma

Yep, because the feel big compared to them. They mock the Lichtenstein dialect though. Mind you, they always mock each other's dialects within CH. I have given up on this dialectal issue...

12. Bierschneeman

Is it offensive if I call Lichtenstein mini austria?

13. Boreas

That's rich. Schweizerdeutsch is absolutely crap sounding.
    I think Bavaria is probably more like Austria.

14. Diziet Sma

Ouch! You are not planning a visit around Central Europe any time soon, are you?:p

15. Diziet Sma

Agreed on both points.

16. Bierschneeman

But Lichtenstein was using the Austrian currency, not the deutschemark.

Also isn't there a hapsburg link?

17. Boreas

I don't know about any Habsburg link with Lichtenstein, although I wouldn't be surprised since there is Habsburg blood in much of western Europe's royalty. And I think Lichtenstein always used Swiss Francs rather than the Austrian Schilling.

18. Bierschneeman

Oh that's right, I don't know what I was thinking, I think I originally meant to say mini Switzerland and then I guess just went with my error after that. That's a serious brain fart moment. I was all over the place with that. You'd think I'd remember the only countries coinage not in my collection from Europe. I mean the coins haunt me in my dreams. How could I get that wrong.

Also legal currency there, the Lichtenstein frank. Though it was only minted as a keepsake and collectors item. Never really used But a few times I'm sure. That's what I was referring to.

19. Diziet Sma

I have been to Vaduz a couple of times and the Swiss Franc is the currency in use. Very pretty despite being the size of a small town. The Principality I mean, not Vaduz...

20. Bierschneeman

Yes that was established, and and reiterated by me.