Permanent Residents of Your TBR List?

Discussion in 'Other Books' started by Boreas, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

What are some of the works that have more-or-less remained on your 'I'll read it soon' list forever? I've got an extensive list, and some of them would include:

Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (and more cyberpunk, generally)
    The espionage novels of John Le Carre
    The plays of Christopher Marlowe
    Pamela & The History of Sir Charles Grandison by Samuel Richardson
    The Old Testament by Yahweh and various others (I've read selections & excerpts from time to time, but I've not yet mustered the necessary wherewithal to read it fully)
    The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth
    The Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar
    History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides
    1984 by George Orwell
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
    The Western short stories of Louis L'Amour
    Some of the Western novels of Zane Grey
    The Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker
    Possession by A. S. Byatt
    The novels and stories of Ray Bradbury
    Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Mallory
    The Leatherstocking adventures of James Fenimore Cooper
    The stories of H. P. Lovecraft
    The novels of H. G. Wells
    The First Circle by Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn
    Nova & Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

Some of these have been on my list since I was around 16. Specifically, the selections by Byatt, Barker, Gibson, and Le Carre. And Fenimore Cooper has been on my list since I was 14 - I was given The Last of the Mohicans one summer holiday, didn't read it, always said I would, and still haven't.

Diziet Sma and Bierschneeman like this.
  2. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

Most of my ridiculously large list (measured in 4 digits) is a decade or longer on there, so I will try and find the absolutely oldest.

L'morte d'arthur and the once and future king. Both have been there since 1992...thats 25 years.

Gone with the wind, been on my list since my mother was reading it. 23 years?

1984, 2001 a space Odyssey, and forever war. 20 years

War and peace. Despite being a huge fan of Leo Tolstoy and reading everything else he wrote, I still haven't read this one. 18 years or longer.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  3. Boreas

Man, what's even the point of having a list in the thousands? You're not going to be able to read 80% of it in your lifetime, unless you devote your entire life to reading.
    Not read it, but I've read something similar when I was 15, but taking place in the Outback of Australia instead...The Thorn Birds.
    Very easy and fast read. You could be done with it in a couple of days. Had a massive effect on me when I was young. 5/5

4. Bierschneeman

I ask myself that a lot, usually followed by removing a pittance. (Hey I'm hating Harry potter, so after book I'll stop.)

Also note, I worked on a similarly sized TBW list of movies in college. Finishing several thousands, including a few (1001 more movie to see) movie lists. I bet my feeling was that this will be just as quick and easy....not.

Now it's a matter of prioritizing. Not wasting my time, and removing unwanteds, not being horribly successful.

5. Bierschneeman

That was supposed to be after book 4 I'll stop...
    Autocorrect.
    And lack of edit button.

6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

I have read only one The Constant Gardener, which I really enjoyed. I would love to read more by him, in particular, The Karla Trilogy.
    This one I read and translated during my years of Latin. I didn’t particularly enjoy it as it was set by my teacher and the translation took over from the potential enjoyment of the narrative.
    I have read it twice. The second time, about three years ago, was even more impacting than the first time round.

I have a shelf at home with unread books given to me since my mid teens, which I carry with me every time I move. Somehow I don’t seem to nibble at it but the opposite: it just gets fatter and fatter.
    These are some titles:
    By José Saramago, I have Blindness and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ.
    By Primo Levi If This Is A Man and The Truce
    The Divine Comedy
    by Alighieri.
    Embers by Sándor Márai.
    I have also many books by Spanish and Iberoamerican authors on my list, e.g. Cortázar, Rulfo, María del Valle Inclán, Unamuno, Delibes etc.

Boreas and Bierschneeman like this.
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

From your list I've read Moby Dick, one Le Carre (Tinker...), 1984 twice, Brave New World (required or I would not have), all of Louis L'Amour if that's even possible many of the books twice or more but I'm still buying and reading the short story collections as they're published), several Zane Grey, Le Morte, Wells' sci-fi novels, The Hobbit. I share the rest of your list with you.

Off the top of my head I'm finding it hard to remember the many on my list. I had to read Crime and Punishment and Canticle for Leibowitz for school. So I checked out a few top 100 book lists on the net and I'm quite surprised with how many essential books I've read. My self-esteem needed that. From those lists I have not read:

To Kill A Mockingbird, it was required also but I skipped it anyway.
    The Art of War
    Atlas Shrugged
    Paradise Lost
    The Federalist Papers
    The Thin Red Line
    The Prince

Currently on my Kindle but will probably never get read:

Dragon Wing and Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Elantris
    Death of the Necromancer-and yet I've read many other of her books-this just went to the first page
    Warbreaker
    Diamond Age
    Snow Crash
    Neuromancer
    Wool
    Perdido Street Station-read The Scar though
    Do Androids Dream...
    The Canterbury Tales
    Conan
    Swan Song
    Sailing to Sarantium-still haven't read any Kay

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  8. Boreas

I cheated by seeing the film. I really should read it, though.
    All these I want to read.
    How come? I thought you had gotten into Stephenson lately?

Also, the Sailing to Sarantium/Lord of Emperors duology is probably my favourite Kay of the ones I've read (not read them all). It's slow, covers so many characters so well, builds methodically to a smashing climax, and is topped off with a solid, very poignant denouement. Which I suppose is like most of Kay's books.

9. kenubrion

Thanks for the Kay info. I hope I read him someday. Many books. I can't get into the contemporary timeframe Stephenson books, or any author actually.

10. Diziet Sma

I loved it once I tuned into its southern speech. I also enjoy C McCullers, The Ballad of the Sad Café and The Heart of the Lonely Hunter are excellent works although not particularly cheerful.

I also have them sitting in my Kindle. I always feel lazy about Elantris. Sooner or later, I will read Conan.

11. Boreas

You can skip Elantris. Extremely mediocre.

12. Diziet Sma

Noted! √

13. Boreas

I have not wanted to pick up any Brandon Sanderson since I picked up Elantris when it came out in paperback. I'm probably being unfair, since he might have gotten better. Then again, his next trilogy after Elantris had no appeal for me what-so-ever. I think I'm in the minority with that trilogy, though.

14. Diziet Sma

I have only read by him Mistborn#1 It was entertaining enough but nothing special. I kind of forgot to continue with this series.
    I have experienced the same thing with Butcher's The Dresden Files. People praise him so much that I have read the first two books in the series. I found them rather mediocre. However, I keep reading the series takes off with book three...

15. kenubrion

I liked but didn't love Mistborn. But I love the Stormlight first two books. When I finished Words of Radiance I thought it was the best epic fantasy that I have read. Now it's just up there with the best, Malazan being the best.