Not into Ancillary Justice

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by jon snow, Jan 21, 2017.

1. jon snow

jon snow Full Member

It's supposedly an amazing series. Chapter 1 was awesome, then the next 3-4 chapters were like...errr what?

Is this how the rest of the book goes?

2. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Yes. Run away. PC tripe.

R-Hat likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Not read. I got myself the first volume when it came out, then realised it was the first of a projected trilogy, so decided to hold off until it was done. In the meantime, it's won all those awards, but a lot of people have said meh or just outright snoozefest. Some others have given it the thumb's up. I still want to try and read it, but I do get the feeling that it was well received by the media exactly because it incorporated the idea of gender fluidity at a time when this whole debacle on gender was at its height. And the fact that it was written by a woman was just icing on the cake for them.

I've become aware of some of the concepts that the book utilises and it doesn't seem "groundbreaking" as the media was calling it. Iain Banks has been writing stuff like that for decades, not to mention other "older white male" authors who seem to be so out of fashion.

I think I'm the type of reader that doesn't have a problem with slow books, so I'm curious to see how I'll find it when I get to it. It's not a priority, though.

4. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I didn't like it at all and thought I would. Nothing likeable in the character.

5. ofer

ofer Regular Member

Kind of an uneven book. Gets full marks for originality (not the gender thing, but another very neat idea in the middle of the book). However, other parts of the book are not that good: terrible pacing (some chapters are great, others a snooze) and the naming also got on my nerves. It seems the author really likes the letter A. Every character has at least 3 A's in their name, usually grouped together.

Finished the book with no problems, but wasn't really that interested in the story to pick up the sequels. Kind of meh +. Not a bad book, but can't see what the fuss was all about.

As for the gender thing, it's not explained very well. After finishing the book I still have no idea whether it was an all-female race (or hemaphrodites) or simply a race that for some reason decided to refer to itself in the female form only. Of course, there's always the option that it was explained during one of the less interesting chapters and I wasn't paying attention.

Boreas likes this.
  6. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

I found the book a very slow-paced criticism of colonialism, mostly. It's one of these things when authors create a pretty neat universe and then focus on flowers and furniture in it. I tolerated that with C. J. Cherryh, but in AJ there was some political correctness and that plus boredom was too much. It wasn't nearly as badly feminist or socially critical as the Neanderthal Parallax by Robert J. Sawyer, though. Few things are in that ballpark. I'm trying to remember something more, but I can't.

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

There's a new book out with the asinine title Everything Belongs to the Future by upper middle-class, arch-feminist with constantly changing hair colour, Laurie Penny. If you read it, let me know what you think. It would be interesting to have a more critical appraisal than the one on the blog. She's a "journalist". Maybe you've come across some of her articles? Look her up on Youtube.

8. Thismare89

Thismare89 New Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  9. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

Well, in the Neanderthal Parallax series, there is this parallel Earth, where Neandertals survived, but homo sapiens didn't, and it's so much better, peaceful and ecological. all The Neanderthals live segregated to men and women and only meet when women are not in fertile phase and for the rest of the month everyone has a homosexual BF/GF.
    main heroine is initially raped on a campus by a white male colleague in disguise. Later in the series, the rapist gets castrated in revenge by her new boyfriend (a neanderthal from the parallel dimension). The rapist due to lack of testosteron from the lost nads eventually gets remorseful, self-hating, i.e. man-hating and he floods the Neanderthal Earth in parallel dimension with a bio-engineered virus of Ebola, that is designed to be airborne and to kill only human men, thus ensuring that the Neanderthal earth is forbidden to men forever.
    So, how can Laurie Penny be worse?

10. Boreas

Holy crap! Is Sawyer like this in his other novels, too? He's one of those authors I've always said I'd get around to reading. Last year I heard that he can be very humorous and was even described to me as a successor to Michael Crichton, so that got me more motivated to try him out. I'll be picking up something other than the Neanderthal Parallax trilogy to start with.

R-Hat likes this.