"Neuromancer" by W. Gibson

Discussion in 'William Gibson' started by Diziet Sma, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

It is difficult to ignore talent when it slaps you in the face, and Gibson did manage a smart, remarkable and equally wild story.
    When I contextualise Neuromancer, written in 1984, along with the fact that Gibson didn't own a PC when he wrote it, I can only admire his tremendous vision.

Case had been a smart data-thief in the business until some vindictive former employer crippled his nervous system. He is now being recruited and offered a last-chance run: the target is a powerful artificial intelligence.
    Teamed with a dead man and Molly, a street-samurai, they embark on a crazy adventure.

I found Neuromancer to be a romantic thriller beyond the makeup of this dystopia and networked society. It is very well paced, ingeniously plotted, sometimes funny and often poetic.
    Neuromancer feels very much rooted in a bleak, unattractive reality. It doesn't feel to me like science fantasy at all, but rather like walking into one of those halls of mirrors found in a fairground: its reflection is as authentic as ugly.

On a personal note, I need to add that I struggled with the jargon and idioms of the narrative: my bad. Perhaps I should have read a translated copy instead.
    And secondly, cyberpunk society doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Therefore, although I enjoyed Neuromancer, I'm not sure whether I will be delving into this genre much further.
    I already own a copy of Snow Crash, and I want to read it. After that, I shall decide how much cyberpunk is for me or not.
  2. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Diziet Sma likes this.
  3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I finished it last night and I am surprised how many sci-fi staples, such as concepts like ICE and Matrix, originated in that work. I hope he expands on the idea of other AI/Matrices (especially from other stars) in subsequent novels.
    Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Such a visionary! I came across this article a couple of days ago.

5 Technologies from Neuromancer That Are Almost Here
    Safari Bob likes this.