Need some help on writing a book!

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Bored, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Bored

Bored New Member

Hi there!
    I hope all is well with you all. One of my close friend plans to write a book on protecting and improving the environment. Can you please help me out with suggesting some books on discussing ways to save the environment for online and offline reading that could help my friend write effectively by getting some fresh ideas.
    Any information would be great.
    Thank you

2. Jack Brewhouse

Jack Brewhouse Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, maybe have a look at the work of Douglas Adams? His radio play that eventually evolved into HHGTTG was based on a series of short stories in which the Earth was destroyed. His work is full of references to the environment and he wrote books on the subject. If you're writing sci-fi that's related to a theme you believe in then that might be a place to start.

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I can't begin to tell you how many oldtimers have said that the environment looks the same as when they were young, and that young people buy into the environment-is-dying meme because they can't compare it to the past. So you'll likely be better off aiming at the young and gullible crowd, and they tend to read stuff like Dreams of my fathers and their mothers. Good luck!

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

If you want novels, check out the works of Kim Stanley Robinson. He's obsessed with the environment.

5. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I'll mention Stephen Palmer, too - challenging stuff, but thought provoking.

(Also google cli-fi and see who comes up)

6. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Or, of course, you could go pay for services not relevant to your query and have someone else write your book. :D

Silly us

7. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, appreciate that deleting that dude's post makes it look like you're talking to yourself! We know the truth Jo :)

jo zebedee likes this.