Must see horror films?

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

So, I saw a seriously crappy-but-fun horror-comedy about killer fish called Piranah 3D (2010) last night. It's a remake of a 1978 film (which I wouldn't mind watching now). This one had lots of ridiculous blood and gore.

Horror isn't a category of film that I'm too familiar with, but I do enjoy horror and want to watch more. I also recently saw the first Hellraiser (1987) directed by Clive Barker and that was really great. So, I'd like to know which horror films you all really like and which should be on the top of my to-watch list.

I don't mind body horror and gore, but I definitely have a preference for the psychological aspect with lots of mood and atmosphere. For example, I don't think I can get myself to watch any more of the Saw films. I saw the first one and it was just too much, too disturbing. At the same time, I saw Hostel (2005) and was freaked out by it, but still enjoyed it (not going to be watching the sequels though). But Murder Party (2007), which ended in an orgy of blood, was one hell of a great movie!

Some favourites include The Exorcist and The Omen (I & II), and pretty much everything John Carpenter has done, no matter how cheesy. I'm all up for cheesy horror and horror-comedy. Also, The Last Exorcism (2010) freaked the heck out of me.

So, which ones are a must watch?

2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Horror is my go to genre. Me and the Mrs both enjoy cuddling up on the sofa and scaring ourselves senseless! Off the top of my head (there will be lots I can't remember) here's some I've enjoyed:

Drag me to Hell - a tiny bit cheesy but good fun and good twist.

Blair Witch Project - seem this a few times .. it's just so spooky! The sequel was crap.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - timeless classic. The meathook bit gave me nightmares for years when I was a kid.

It - One of the first horror films I watched, and I loved it all, except when the clown turns into a spider. That bit was ridiculous.

Hellraiser and The Exorcist are also favourites, as is The Amytivile Horror.

I also adore the Paranormal Activity films!

3. Boreas

I saw The Blair Witch Project when it came out. It was pretty sensational at the time. Texas Chainsaw Massacre I haven't seen and is definitely one I need to watch. Another one I remember liking was Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects (2005). It did glorify psychosis and violence, but the ending was just too epic. I've said before, any scene with "Freebird" playing ends up being epic.

4. Boreas

Oh, as for It...I never finished it, neither the movie (wasn't it a TV movie?) nor the book. I think I must have been about 14 or 15, and it spooked me. I hate clowns.

5. TomTB

I am always drawn to the films which are 'based on true events'. I enjoyed Amityvile Horror a lot more before I read the back story and basically discovered it was just one massive hoax. On the other hand, when you read about all the weird shit that went on behind the scenes when The Exorcist was made (including several unexplained deaths) the film ends up having that extra creep factor. Paranormal horror ( when done well),is definitely my favourite type of horror film.

6. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I rather enjoy the psychological fear. Gore for the sake of it tends to tickle me instead.

Some of the following films I haven’t watched for a very long time, so maybe a second viewing would demote them from horror to tragic-comedy:

The Omen
    The Exorcist.
    The Changeling
    Psychosis.
    Rosemary’s Baby.
    The Birds.
    Polstergeist.
    Silent of the Lambs
    Alien
    The Shinning.

Season I & II of American Horror Story was pretty good.

7. TomTB

I also liked seasons 1&2 of American Horror Story, but thought #3 was terrible, and I've not watched any since giving up on that about 4 episodes in. People keep telling me to watch Freak Show, so I may start this after I'm up to date with Walking Dead (halfway through season 6 now!)

8. Boreas

Ooh, The Poltergeist was another that really scared the crap out of me when I was around 10/11. I watched it again during my late teens and loved it. There used to be a tree in front of our house and the branches of it used to reach fairly close to my window. On stormy nights with lightening, I could see the outline of the branches swaying and it always reminded me of that freaking tree in the film.

9. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I gave it up with Freak Show. Couldn't finish it. For me the best were season 2 and then 1, in that order. After that it went all downhill.
    Enjoy Walking Dead!

10. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

I watched it when I was 11 too. I used to get into my older sister’s bed. I was a bit of a chicken then and still am. I can't watch Alien without a BIG cushion.

Boreas likes this.