Medieval Iconography and Science Fiction/Fantasy

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Diziet Sma, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

Ursaphobia...?

2. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

It's an old legend used to scare kids into staying indoors at night, familiar to hobgoblin or bogeyman. Often described like a flat faced bear that stands on two legs with a wide mouth.

I like to think of them like a furry one of these
    [​IMG]

Diziet Sma likes this.
  3. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

4. Diziet Sma

Welcome, @Safari Bob!
    I’m not an expert in any way. I just enjoy looking at these images and sometimes reading about them.
    The depiction of the snail is one that reappears frequently. However, historians don’t seem to agree on its significance. There are many theories depending on the actual depiction. Some are already mentioned in your link:
    • The resurrection of Christ.
    • The Lombards. These were people thought to behave in a very un-knighted manner (usury, disloyalty etc.)
    • Snails could also mean men’s lowest instincts, which have to be fought in order to safeguard our souls.
    • It could well have been a caricature: rather comic to see a knight in full armor fighting a snail.
    • The unavoidability of death: representation of Psalm 58.
    • And of course, there is always the sexual translation: female sexual organs: i.e temptation, forbidden fruit etc And it is also thought snails could have symbolised male impotence.
    Make your pick!

Safari Bob likes this.
  5. Diziet Sma

I have just found you @Boreas ! I guess you might be the first on the right as he looks like the purple?-winged one...

The Four Winds.
    Konrad Kyeser, Bellifortis, Germany 15th century (Besançon, Bibliothèque municipale, ms. 1360, fol. 4v)

[​IMG]

Boreas likes this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Yep, but so purple as to be almost black it seems in this illustration. The yellow and red should be Zephyrus and Notus for the gentle, western spring and the stormy, southern summer winds, respectively. That leaves blue for the non-standard of the four Venti, the eastern wind Euros.

Nice find!

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Diziet Sma

I prefer this original Arachne.
    Oxide Moralisé, Paris ca. 1330 (Paris, Bibliothèque de l'Arsenal, Ms 5069, fol. 78r)

[​IMG]

To her later Drider version...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

The digital piece looks like something out of the Forgotten Realms universe, and something to do with the Drow, the dark elves. As a teenager, I must have read something like 15+ books by R. A. Salvatore in the setting.

9. Diziet Sma

Precisely!
    I enjoyed The Dark Elf Trilogy: Fun, uncomplicated and very entertaining. However, I struggled to finish The Crystal Shard, a very shallow and boring Drizzt in my view. I haven't read any more books in the series. The problem about The Forgotten Realms reading order is, if you stick to Salvatore's recommendation, you follow the internal chronology and not the publication one, therefore you start with his best work. Besides, as you have mentioned, teenage time is when one should probably star reading Dritzzt and not later...

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

Oh my God! My mind is actually blown to know that you even read the Dark Elf trilogy or that you know Forgotten Realms. For me, this is stuff that ultra geeky kids would read. And you with your head full of Borges and Nordic noir and classics having read R. A. Salvatore is just mind-boggling. Having read Holdstock or Tolkien I can understand, but scrounging around at the bottom of the fantasy barrel with Forgotten Realms? Woah...

Yeah, the Dark Elf trilogy is my favourite Salvatore. I actually hated every one of his characters as the series progressed except for Drizzt. Especially that Barbarian Wulfgar. Hated that whiny motherfucker. Just wanted him to die a torturous death. Cattie-Brie, too. I only really liked the stories involving the Drow or the human assassin, Artemis Entreri.

Diziet Sma and Safari Bob like this.
  11. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Yeah, Wulfgar is annoying but my favorite character of the series is Bruenor. I like the dwarves.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  12. Diziet Sma

Ha! I have always been an ultra geek at heart…!
    I enjoyed the underworld of Menzoberranzan, the moment Drizzt surfaced, I lost interest…

13. Diziet Sma

This could well be an early version of The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper's Feast

Snail and Frog listening to Monkey music
    Book of hours, Paris ca. 1500 (Chambéry, Bibliothèque municipale, ms. 3, fol. 33v)

[​IMG]