Looking for older book

Discussion in 'Looking for a specific title? Ask here.' started by fred.k, Jun 17, 2016.

1. fred.k

fred.k New Member

I am looking to reread a SF book but can't find it. Story centered around society with endemic use of virtual reality glasses for the poor and VR implants for the rich. Rich people could access multiple layers of VR. People wandering around the streets murmuring to unseen VR enities. A female blogger is blown up in a zeppelin train terrorist attack and becomes disembodied brain leading crowd of cyber vigilanties. Sound familiar to anyone? Searched online but couldn't find it. Your help is appreciated.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

A quick check made me think William Gibson's Virtual Light might be the one, but I couldn't find any references to a "zeppelin train terrorist" or a "disembodied brain leading a crowd of cyber vigilantes". Maybe @ecgordon can help.

3. Boreas

Okay, I asked elsewhere with your description and two people are saying that it sounds like Existence by David Brin.

4. fred.k

fred.k New Member

Thanks a lot. I thought it was David Brin but the excerpt I read online didn't remind me of it. I will look closer..

5. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

I have Existence, but I haven't read it yet. Just looked at the book jacket description, and while VR tech is mentioned, there isn't anything about terrorist attacks or disembodied cyber presence.

6. Boreas

I've not read Existence, either, and I also couldn't find any of those references when taking a look at the description of the book or some cursory glances at reviews looking for those keywords. But one of the responders stated "BTW, the blogger didn't stay a bottled brain," which seems to pretty much settle it.