Looking for a book, about 40 years old (at least)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Peter, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Peter

Peter New Member

From memory, cover was a black skull on a white background. It had about 10 short stories. One story was about a spaceship crash that left alive a human and an alien? that was round in shape and could change the size/shape of its four legs. It was hunting the human because it weighed over 1ookgs. Another story was a mother and daughter are rescued from a space ship filled with decaying bodies but the rescuers soon realise why the bodies were half eaten. I remember this book from about 40 years ago at school and it was read to us. Any help appreciated

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I don't know about the book cover or the second story, but the one with the alien and human sounded like "Enemy Mine" until you mentioned the alien was round. If the legs are really tentacles with manipulators, if the alien rolls to move, and if the human is naked with both of them trying to kill each other in forced duel on a planet they have been placed in, then it could be Fredric Brown's story "Arena".

3. Peter

Peter New Member

I had a look at the book "Arena" but it isn't that story. I do like the story line from "Arena" though

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Sorry, nothing else comes to mind. If you do find out, then it would be great if you could also let me know.

5. Peter

Peter New Member

Have found it. It’s called The Ruum by Arthur Porges from 1953

Boreas likes this.