Listening to music while reading

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Kanly, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Do you like to listen to music when you read? Or do you need silence?

I used to listen to all kinds of music as I read, basically whatever I was into at the time. It didn't matter, so I could be listening to electronic or heavy metal or rock or whatever. But these days I like to listen to instrumental or more soothing stuff. And lately I've been listening to a lot of Dead Can Dance when I read. It was an unexpectedly good soundtrack when I was reading Legend a short while ago. Sometimes, the music and the scene are really in sync, and it makes the experience even more intense. I'm fine reading without music too, but I definitely like to listen to something. And do you have any specific music you like to listen to when reading sf (or fantasy)?

Diziet Sma likes this.
  2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Never tried to be honest, but I don't think it would do anything for me. It would just be in the background. I don't think my music taste and my reading taste match up very well, thinking about it.

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

I can read with Mozart in the background but not with Led Zepplin.

4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Long gone the time when at university, I could read and study while listening to loud and rock music.
    Now, when reading general fict¡on, I like listening to themed music connected to the era of the book, author nationality etc.
    For SF and fantasy I tend to go for classical, easy indie, or folk rock chill: never loud and with unengaging lyrics, otherwise my concentration goes out the window.