Let's play: do you recognise me?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, May 14, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I thought we could play an interesting game. I'll post a picture of a person and you try to guess who it is without cheating (we'll abide by the scout's honour code). We'll focus mostly on authors and, this being a genre forum, genre authors in particular. But other important, famous people would also be fine (esp. in related fields).

Whoever guesses correctly has the right to post the next picture unless they waive that right. If the winner of the last round hasn't posted within, say, one hour, then anyone can post. Whoever posts the picture can immediately leave a clue on posting, or give us hints if no one is able to guess or if we ask for clues.

The image of the portrait is up to you: e.g. from any stage in the person's life. They don't even have to be photographs: paintings, sketches, etc., as long as they are recognisable. Keep the image sizes reasonable, say, a height no larger than 600 pixels.

Once an author's name is guessed correctly, I or one of the other mods will edit this first post and add the name. That name will no longer be eligible for the game. So, please check this growing list of names to confirm whether the person whose picture you want to post has not already been played.

So, I'll start off with a very easy one, someone whom I think most of us should recognise immediately.

ursula-k-le-guin.jpg

List of people played

Ursula K. Le Guin
    Glen Duncan
    Harper Lee
    Michael Crichton
    John Berendt
    Philip K. Dick
    Tracy Hickman & Margaret Weiss
    Cordwainer Smith
    Sara King
    Ray Garton
    Clive Barker
    Robert Holdstock
    Ian Tregillis
    Robin Cook
    Kristine Kathryn Rusch
    Michael Swanwick
    Algis Budrys
    Basil Poledouris
    Fritz Leiber
    Samuel Beckett
    Roger MacBride Allen
    John Varley
    Kate Chopin
    Bernard Cornwell
    Mervyn Peake
    Jim Butcher
    Octavie E. Butler
    J. R. R. Tolkien
    Unknown
    C. J. Cherryh
    Andrzej Sapkowski
    Hugh Howey

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I'm going to have a go... Is it Ursula Le Guin?!? If that's her, I must admit I haven't read anything by her, but my sister loved her books. She went on and on about her, especially Historias de Terramar. Anyway, most likely I'm wrong...:rolleyes:

3. Boreas

It sure is! I chose a younger picture, but she is too recognisable. Your turn now.
    She is for sure worth reading. Try Lathe of Heaven and The Dispossessed. Or if you want fantasy, then she's famous for A Wizard of Earthsea. All short books.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. Diziet Sma

Right! I've got lucky. Here is the next one...

image.jpeg

5. Boreas

I have absolutely no idea. Looks like a recent picture, so he can't be too old now. Does he write science fiction or fantasy? American, British or continental European?

6. Diziet Sma

Well, he is a British, mostly fantasy writer, who enjoys toying with philosophical, theological concepts, so he can make your head spin for a while...:D

7. ofer

ofer Regular Member

Could it be Neil Gaiman on a really bad hair day? (If I'm right I'm waiving my turn. Can't post pictures from my cell which is currently my sole connection to the outside world)

8. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

He's Glen Duncan.
    I read his 'A Day and a Night and a Day', because it's a reference to an old Steinbeck line, and I love Steinbeck... wish I could say the same for Mr. Duncan, whose narrative style is a bit rambling, and at times just plain exhausting.
    It was easy recalling his photo, as the first time I saw a pic of him it reminded me of Ronnie James Dio.

Guess who this might be...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Boreas likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

Indeed he is...! Well, I have just read his fantasty work and not A day, a night and a day, so I could possibly comment on it. I really liked The last werewolf trilogy and I, Lucifer. I found him yes reflective and very incisive. The characters are very well developed and the storyline is surprising and unexpected.
    Anyhow, reading his book help you guess this game! I wonder, @Boreas, what time of prize the winners might be getting...?!?:D:)

Boreas likes this.
  10. Diziet Sma

Well, unless we wanted to give Gaiman a new hairdo, I'm afraid it wasn't him...:D

11. Boreas

No idea. How about a hint? Picture looks like it may have been from the 50s or 60s, right?

12. Sparrow

Indeed, probably circa 1960.
    She is a "one-hit wonder" writer, but quite a hit it was... probably still required reading in most American High Schools. Her masterpiece is a prime example of "Southern Gothic".

13. Boreas

That's a good hint. I think I might know who it is, but one last question...did she famously pass away earlier this year? If yes, then I'm guessing she's the author of Clark Kent's favourite book.

14. Sparrow

Yes, sadly she did pass away earlier this year, and after releasing a book that should never have been released.

And that 'To Kill a Mockingbird' is my all time favorite book, and I thought I knew a lot of trivia surrounding the story... I never knew that about it, that Superman liked it.:)

15. Boreas

I devoured comics during my teenage years. That particular trivia has always stuck out for me when I was reading about the return of Superman after that whole Doomsday fiasco and "Death of Superman" storyline. Same time as DC was fucking up Batman with their "Knightfall" storyline and Bane. But the Batman story was a lot better and more personal than the Superman one, which I never really liked but felt compelled to read nonetheless.

I believe To Kill a Mockingbird is also my brother's all-time favourite book. At least, it was the last time I checked.

16. Boreas

Here's the next one. If there's any other author who's had more of their books turned into movies than this one, then, at least, I'm not aware of them.

Michael-Crichton-michael-crichton-7390805-438-636.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  17. Sparrow

The hint gave it away... it must be Michael Crichton, though I would not have known it by the photo.

Next up, and this one ain't going to be easy... hint, another one hit wonder in the realm of Southern Gothic, the book/movie put a certain sleepy seaside village on the map again and tourists go there to visit the places mentioned in the story.

[​IMG]

18. wakarimasen

wakarimasen Full Member

Michael Crichton maybe?

Boreas likes this.
  19. wakarimasen

wakarimasen Full Member

darn... missed it
    on a side note though I have one of someone who I think HAS had more books turned into films... but I'll wait my turn..

Boreas likes this.
  20. wakarimasen

wakarimasen Full Member

which could be a while - cos I can't get that one