James P. Hogan

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Nestor Pires Filho, May 23, 2016.

1. Nestor Pires Filho

Nestor Pires Filho Full Member

I don't know how to suggest where to start from... either "The Giants" trilogy (which ended up being 5 books...) or by his other titles "Paths to Otherwhere" or "The Proteus Operation"...

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Noted! I think I'd like to read the whole Giants series since I've heard it recommended as an excellent hard sf series a number of times. I'm guessing the others you've mentioned are your favourite Hogan stand-alone works?

3. Nestor Pires Filho

Yes. The following "Giant" books (The Gentle Giants of Ganimedes, Giants Star, Entoverse and Mission to Minerva) are very good and it would be a nice start... And yes, those three are my main favorites among the favorites.

4. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Nestor. I didn't recall The Two Moons and yet I was just surprised to learn that bought it in 2014. Now I remember Inherit the Stars to some extent but not Gentle Giants of Ganymede so I've got a new book to start reading and potentially many new books of his vast bibliography.

5. Nestor Pires Filho

I have several of his books in .mobi and .epub format, if you are interested.

6. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Are you currently reading any SF, Nestor?

7. ecgordon

ecgordon Well-Known Member

Read the first three of the Giants series, pretty sure they were all together in an omnibus from SFBC. That was decades ago. I think Thrice Upon a Time is the only other I've read, but I can't even remember if I liked it. I had a few others on my shelves until a year or so ago when I found out Hogan was a Holocaust denier. That disqualified him as someone I would care about.