It's December 2017: What SF/F are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Diziet Sma, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

I'm not reading fiction at the moment but, what about you?

2. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I am reading The Dwarves by Markus Heitz.

3. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

In an effort to find more "sciency" female SF authors, I'm reading Nova by Margaret Fortune.

4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Two authoresses I have interest in checking out are Linda Nagata and Catherine Asaro, both of whom are said to write good 'hard SF'. I've already read one of Asaro's books, but it was an outlier, a planetary romance, and less concerned with any science-y underpinnings.

5. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Artemis by Andy Weir. 1/4 in, and it's not great so far. It's a bit bland truth be told, but held together by a strong MC.

6. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

This time, I am not going to waste my time with anything more by Andy Weir like I did last time with Ernest Cline.

7. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm also reading the first Abendau book, but it is not what I'm looking for.

8. Diziet Sma

I have read about 40% of The Martian by A. Weir. I am aware that my opinion will not be very popular because although I like it, I don't think it is that great.
    I feel the experiences of the leading and sole character seem to be geared towards one direction only. There seems to be at the moment no change in pacing and nor in the narrative line. It feels somewhat mechanic with little room for non-technical surprises.
    If you remove the fascinating, long (sometimes tedious) descriptions of the processes Mark Watney must accomplish in order to survive, there is very little left.

9. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Probably all true, but the story is written a lot like a journal of a real event, somewhat like Andromeda Strain. The drama isn't in the events but in the fact that we are even reading this "true" account. That only really works because the processes described are contemporary and don't rely on "sci fi" plot devices. It is drama in the same way as Apollo 13 or the Titanic sinking is.

But if it is boring you, it is boring you. You might like the film, though.

I finished Nova mentioned in my earlier post. Decent page turner, but ultimately more YA than anything else. Young female protagonist on a journey of self awareness, yada, yada. Relies a lot on lost and recovered memory for plot points and usual helpful coincidences. The ending was worthwhile, though.

10. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

If it's the Abendau series by me (I think the name is unique to them) - they're not intended to be sciencey at all so I doubt they'd deliver. :)

Pat Cadigan might be worth a look at - she tends to the more science end of the spectrum

11. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Not necessarily looking for heavy science, just something different than a fantasy story with the word "galley" replaced with "spaceship".

I'll put Cadigan on the list, thanks.

12. jo zebedee

Ha! Then Abendau is not the book for you - it sits pretty unashamedly towards the Space Fantasy end of the Space Opera genre. :)

13. Diziet Sma

I finished reading The Martian and enjoyed it more as the story progressed.
    I still think its constant rhythm and tone narrow the outcome of this story dramatically.
    How could Mark Watney not be saved? Such a charming, resourceful, always happy chap. The Martian does not focus on whether Watney survives Mars but his journey to his foreseeable salvation.

I have begun Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations #1-2) by M.J. Sullivan. A straightforward, fantasy, fun romp.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    Safari Bob likes this.
  14. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Yeah, the tension comes from questions of "how" rather than "if". Though I recently read something where the plucky hero got unexpectedly creamed in the end.

15. Diziet Sma

My English is failing me. I don't know this expression. What does it mean?

16. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

"Killed". Usually used in reference to the kind of violent death that smashes or crushes the body, like what happens to food that been "creamed" or pureed in a blender.

17. Diziet Sma

Ah! Very fitting. Well, our hero had to bear 12G-force while in the "soft top" ascend-vehicle. But Mark is the proud child of MacGyver, and he joined the rest of the crew with only a couple of bruises and two broken ribs.

18. jo zebedee

Luna: Wolf Moon, Ian MacDonald. I'm enjoying it very much :)

19. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

12Gs! The human record is 46! 12 is amateur hour. :)

Diziet Sma likes this.