Horror recs for newbies

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

So, what horror titles would you recommend to someone who's unfamiliar with the genre. Besides Stephen King. Any classics from the 19th and early 20th centuries?

My experience with anything to do with horror and the macabre is limited to Edgar Allan Poe, Dracula and two or three King titles. I think I've read some others, but can't recall any more authors or titles.

And I know, I need to read Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus.

2. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Well, the obvious is HP Lovecraft.

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Dean Koontz has been a prolific and very talented horror author pretty much in the same time frame as King. Several of his books have been made into major movies.

4. Boreas

Yeah, will have to pick up one of his collections at some point.

Any specific books by Koontz you think are good?

5. kenubrion

Boreas, start with Watchers. It's excellent and you will get a look at his writing at his best. I read everything he wrote early in his career (90's).

Boreas likes this.
  6. ofer

ofer Regular Member

Try Clive Barker. Almost any of his books (although my favorite of his is Weaveworld, which is a combination of fantasy and horror).
    Some of Dan Simmons' horror books are very good. His most famous is Summer of Night. My favorite is Carrion Comfort.

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

Nice to see you back, man! It's been a while.

Thanks for the recs. Never read Barker, and I've only read Simmons' SF.

ofer likes this.
  8. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

@ofer, I began reading Weaveworld following comments precisely like yours:
    and then I have put it to one side. I reached the point the Fugue awakes, and Cal starts to explore it (the 30% mark). I have been finding it too tepid to my taste. Do these fantasy and horror elements start gaining relevance or does it continue with the same tone set during the first part?

9. kenubrion

Weaveworld is the only book by Barker that I have read. Apropos of nothing you understand.

10. ofer

ofer Regular Member

Sorry, it's been a very long time since I read this, so I don't remember if the tone of the book changes from the start. What I do remember is that Weaveworld, together with Imajica, was the least horrory and gory of the Barker books which I read.

11. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Ofer. I will have another go during this holiday and I shall see.