Have you read...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Khartun, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Khartun

Khartun Full Member

Hey guys, a friend just gave me The Left Hand of Darkness. Has anyone read this? Is it good? I haven't ever read anything by Ursula K. Le Guin.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I have liked everything by Ursula K. Le Guin that I have ever read, especially her science fiction. For some reason, I never read "The Left Hand of Darkness", which is her most lauded work. I do, however, absolutely love her novel "The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia" and if TLHoD can top it, I'll be both surprised and pleased (when I do get around to reading it). "The Dispossessed" is in the top echelon of science fiction that I have read.

3. Khartun

Khartun Full Member

Awesome, thanks for the reply @Boreas!

4. Boreas

Sure thing. But you are a little aware of what TLHoD is about, right? It's a sociological work that tackles gender and sexuality issues.

5. Khartun

Khartun Full Member

Well, I didn't when my friend gave it to me but I kinda got that from the blurb.

6. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Anyone read anything by Jack Campbell? In particular his Lost Fleet series.

7. Boreas

Yes, I read the first two books. I was getting interested in finding out what happens next (the incorporation of relativistic effects for the space battles was turning out to be the most interesting part of the books and the battles were quite decent/good), but the writing and dialogue and characters were so shitty that I almost threw my brother's Kindle (before I bought mine) against the floor in frustration. This was late 2013/early 2014. I've been toying with the idea of continuing the series by picking up volume three, but the thought reading them almost sends me into an epileptic shock.

8. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Has anyone read anything by John C. Wright? I'm considering buying his Count to a Billion series or The Golden Age series.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  9. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone read any of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber? Just seen the first couple are free on Kindle ..

10. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're good, until about the ninth book and then Weber begins just using boilerplate scenarios. Lots of internal dialogue and navel gazing as the series progresses. But the first few are definitely worth reading. His Dahak series is just great.

11. Boreas

I have his Golden Age trilogy, but haven't read them yet. They came recommended by three people whose tastes I trust, but also with many caveats by others that it is a somewhat difficult read and the ending is a mess, but that it's still a worthwhile to pick up.
    I binge read the first six volumes in 2013 and then I burned out completely. I actually liked the first book very much - it's strange because I've often heard that it's not the best place to start, but I found it quite a bit of fun. Starts slow, builds gradually and then there's an explosive finale. Pretty much the same format for every one of his HH books. On the other hand, I hated the second book. There's a particular culture introduced (Grayson) and I hate just about everything about this society and find it very, very, very annoying. Unfortunately, HH is made a dual citizen of this society and she has this Grayson honour guard that follows her everywhere. I hated them. I wanted them all to die off quickly. But they're still around until the end of book six.

I basically binge read them for the space battle scenes. Weber writes very good action scenes and his battles are just re-enactments of eighteenth century nautical battles and manoeuvres. Every book ups the level of the battles like in a video game with increasing levels of difficulty as you progress through the stages. But there's a shitload of info dumping of the uninteresting and boring kind. I started skipping most of that from book three onwards. Writing is really mediocre. HH is a Mary Sue character - essentially perfect, so not very interesting. Weber's also bad at writing politics with any sort of nuance. He lifts the French revolution and the Reign of Terror page for page out of a history book, not even attempting to put some twist on it. Lazy. But if you want missile salvoes, ships blowing up, high death counts, then go for it. If you binge read like I did, you'll probably also burn out at some point. I do have some little desire to continue with volume 7, but it's nowhere near a priority.

TomTB likes this.