Good Space Opera?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Boreas, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

Yes I also liked Sundiver, but I thought Startide Rising was better.
    I also tried Brightness Reef but never really got into that book.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I've never read the second Uplift trilogy. But I liked all three instalments of the first.

3. Christophe

Christophe Full Member

I never read The Uplift War. Somehow I picked up Brightness Reef before reading The Uplift War. Still need to go back and (re)read the Uplift trilogy in its entirety.

Boreas likes this.
  4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Radix Series, The Last Legend of Earth, by A A Attanasio. Mindblowing! I’m still mulling over it. I have Radix#1. This is another one I would love to pick up soon…

I also have Uplift the Complete trilogy. This was Boreas’ recommendation in the Underwater SF thread:
    http://bestsciencefictionbooks.com/forums/threads/underwater-sf.145/

I haven't read it yet. Will soon. Hopefully. *Sigh again*

5. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

6. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I read these recently, just the two Hyperion books. I strongly recommend them too! Each of those tales in the first book were great, all really different in style, strong characterization and really playing with emotions. But the second book is the one I loved most. All the revelations, the meta-view through dreams. Just fantastic stuff and it brought the story to such a great conclusion!

R-Hat and Diziet Sma like this.
  7. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I picked up Seveneves for 50p in a charity shop yesterday. Will give it a try :)

Diziet Sma and Kanly like this.
  8. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Hope you like it! It's not space opera, but hard sci-fi. Lots of orbital mechanics and stuff like that. And for 50 cents it's worth a try even if hard sci-fi isn't your thing.

9. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Seveneves is a moving enough story that anyone uninterested in the nuts and bolts should still find something of to hold their attention - unless nuts and bolts are really off-putting.

I've been trying to come up with a decent addition to this list, which has made me realize how few (good) books lately appear to qualify as space opera. I think I've read quite a few books that have the sweeping drama and technology of space opera, but if the whole story takes place on earth it isn't space opera.

So my one lonely recommendation is Ken MacLeod's Newton's Wake: A Space Opera. (And I thought of it without remember the secondary helper title.) His Engines of Light series may also qualify. Everything Ken has written is worth reading.

Though I suppose Banks' non-Culture The Algebraist would also qualify. But Banks is already on the list.

Kanly and Diziet Sma like this.
  10. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

Eeep! I don't have a good record with hard sf :D

Kanly likes this.
  11. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

I never read anything by Banks except for his Culture stuff. How does this one hold up?

12. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

I thought I replied, but I guess not:

It is excellent, as are the other 2 or 3 non-Culture books. Any Banks' book, SF or not, is worth reading.

Algebraist is the only SF book Banks wrote that is incompatible with the Culture universe, unless you count Transition as SF. For some reason Banks did not, but I don't think it is fantasy.

Boreas likes this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I prefer to think of both Feersum Endjinn and Against a Dark Background as taking place in a non-Culture universe, too. Although, since no explicit information is given to contradict Culture universe compatibility, a case can be made for them existing within the Culture milieu, but a tenuous one I think.

14. Tiran

Tiran Well-Known Member

Against a Dark Background shares the Culture conceit that the universe is full of independently evolved humanoids, which I think is a connection. But there is no real link.

15. R-Hat

R-Hat Well-Known Member

I did actually read Sundiver, Startide Rising and all the other Uplift series by David Brin. I enjoyed it all, it's well worth of a read. Later in the books there is an emphasis on ecology, that looks like genuine arguments from a scientist and not just human-bashing, so it's very original. Brin's metaphysics is very deep and goes to the absolute, full praise here.

Boreas likes this.