Ghost in the Shell, 2017

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Kanly, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

Anybody watched the live-action version of Ghost in the Shell yet? I used to love the manga and the first anime movie that came out in 1995, and I haven't had the chance to see the live-action with Scar Jo yet. There was such a furore over the casting, but that was something I cared less about than the possibility of a weak script/story.

I've avoided seeing all trailers except for the few scenes that were released as teasers in the very beginning and which ran for a few seconds each.

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I haven't seen it yet, either, but I really, really want to! I suspect it might go down better for those people who haven't seen the original anime adaptation. I know that I'll constantly be comparing the two, and especially because I know that certain scenes from the anime have been re-created. I'll going to try to judge it on its own terms, though.

I never cared for the whole 'white-washing' fiasco, either. At first I was also unhappy with Scarlett Johansson's casting, but more because I consider her a wooden actress (I still like her!). As more time went on, I started to reconsider and decided that her normally flat acting might be a boon in a film where she has to play an almost expressionless cyborg (actually, almost a full android since in the original story the only biological component left is some brain matter).

I know there's been a quite a divided response over the film. Critics and die-hard fans and those upset with the supposed 'white-washing' have given it low or scathing reviews. Most others have sung it praises for being a fun movie with some beautiful scenes.

I'll try to watch it this weekend.

3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I saw Ghost in the Shell over the weekend. Not more than a C-. I was one of those who was really hoping this film would turn out to be great but, alas, it was not to be. There were some good moments, mostly some of the cinematography and the setting of certain scenes that were beautifully cyberpunk in their aesthetics, but they completely missed the point of the original story and went for a cheaper resolution.

Kanly likes this.
  4. Kanly

Kanly Well-Known Member

What do you mean by they missed the point?

5. irrlicht

irrlicht Regular Member

I liked the new puppetmaster as a character, but the plot didn't even get close to tge original's complexity.
    Other than that, I found it a little jarring that everyone understood Japanese perfectly, but spoke English with their chief.

Kanly likes this.