General Reading in 2017

Discussion in 'Other Literature' started by Boreas, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Who's the author?

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Isabel San Sebastián but I doubt it has been translated yet or whether it will ever be.

3. Diziet Sma

Isabel San Sebastián but I doubt it has been translated yet or whether it will ever be.

4. Diziet Sma

5. Diziet Sma

Isabel San Sebastián but I doubt it has been translated yet or whether it will ever be. A rather good beginning so far.

6. Boreas

Yeah, I was wondering. I typed in The Visigoth into Amazon and couldn't find any historical fiction with that name.

7. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

What's that you said, didn't quite catch it ;)

8. Diziet Sma

Oops! My only excuse is that I was tasting some schnapps while posting. What can I say...? Skåll!:)

TomTB likes this.
  9. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

I am reading The Mead Hall by Pollington

10. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

Today I ordered The Lost City of the Monkey God: A True Story by Preston. I am really looking forward to reading it.

11. Diziet Sma

I have started over the weekend Musashi, The Last Legend of the Samurai: Earth, Water, and Fire by E. Yoshikawa. This is the first book in the trilogy.
    @Boreas , are you still interested in a re-read?

12. Boreas

Definitely! Wish you'd let me know a little beforehand. I'll take a break from Star Wars and read the first chapter tonight!

It's strange that your copy is split up into three separate books. I definitely don't think of it as a trilogy.

13. Diziet Sma

Great!
    Well, I just picked it up after finishing Rite of Passage and feeling like reading something utterly different.
    There is no digital edition available, so I guess a brick of 1000 odd pages is not that marketable. Besides, my edition is really beautiful including a map and a very helpful list of characters and names of places.

14. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

15. Diziet Sma

16. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Dizi, not yet but I'm beginning to get back into historical fiction so I might. I'm not yet a fan of samurai although I really loved the ninja books by Eric Van Lustbader starring Nicholas Linnear. Great books and series, present day setting.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  17. Boreas

I've finished Earth and am about 3 chapters into Water. When I started the first chapter, I got sucked into it immediately. Should we start a new discussion thread for Musashi?

18. Diziet Sma

I have finished Fire and the first book in my edition. I will start tomorrow The Way of the Sword. This one includes Wind and Sky.
    Shall we start a thread once you finish Fire?

19. Boreas

Okay. Or you can start it whenever you want with your thoughts. Up to you. I'll start posting either when I'm done with the Fire section, or if I see something you've written that I can respond to immediately.

20. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I started listening to High Rise the other day. I have no idea what genre it is, so posting here. About 1/6 in ..