General art appreciation

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Deviant Art is to SFF fans what YouTube is to video junkies. You can get lost in it for days. The massive breadth and depth of galleries, and talent of the artists, is mind-numbing.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

33Cº over here. People are going crazy, running around in speedos and all...

Everybody loves ice cream by daniellefw on @DeviantArt

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    TomTB likes this.
  3. Diziet Sma

Yesterday I spent the day in the hometown of Anders Zorn. I knew very little of his
    life and had just basic knowledge about his work. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting his home and museum.
    Here is a tiny sample:

Night Effect 1885

[​IMG]

In Wilkströms Studio - 1889

[​IMG]

Dance in the Gopsmor Cottage,1914

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Boreas likes this.
  4. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

The first one is Cruella?

Second one is very nice. A painting of a model getting ready to be painted?

5. Diziet Sma

Ha! Cruella and 101 elkes...
    The second is part of his nude study (mostly of females) period. Zorn was admired for his talent and tremendous joie de vivre: he was a real tinker!

Boreas likes this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Bosch is wondrous, the creator of monsters and chimeras. Despite the fact that his work seems to be a reflection of his religious beliefs, it never ceases to pull the viewer into a world of fantasy.
    I have always enjoyed Bosch influence on Dalí´s surrealism.
    You mgiht enjoy this thread.

El Gran Masturbador by Salvador Dalí, 1929.

[​IMG]

Dtyler99 likes this.
  7. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Great thread Boreas, first time I've seen it. And all the incredible artwork is new to me as well.

8. hrafnwasser

hrafnwasser Well-Known Member

Many apologies - I've deleted the image - not sure what happened.

9. Diziet Sma

Super Heroes, Flemish paintings and Elizabethan era fashion: Super Flemish project by Sacha Goldberger (26 images)
    Just a couple...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dtyler99

Did you ever read China Mieville's The Last Days of New Paris? If you know your Surrealists, then it's the book for you.

11. Diziet Sma

I like surrealism and feel comfortable and inspired admiring some of the work of this incredible movement (Dalí, Miró, Buñuel and some others) I haven't read China Miéville yet. I have dithered about picking up his work after reading some polarising reviews. I guess I will add him to my scary TBR list... *sigh*

12. Dtyler99

The Last Days of New Paris is a novella, so length-wise, it's not insurmountable. It probably isn't the place to start with Mieville if one has never read him before, but given your affinity for the subject matter, it should be no problem (although it helps if you also have more than a passing familiarity with Paris). In an alternate history, the Germans won WW II and the book takes place in occupied Paris in 1950 where Surrealist artworks have come to life to battle the Nazis, and the Parisian resistance is splintered into rag-tag groups who believe in competing schools of Surrealist thought.

There's a reason why Mieville is considered the Godfather of the New Weird.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

An Eastern Beauty (late 19th century) by Léon François Comerre (1850-1916).

Oil on canvas.

One of the French Orientalists who came out of the academic École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris, and who mostly concentrated on portraits & Oriental themes. Of his many portraits, I find this to be one of the most alluring. She's a beauty indeed.

[​IMG]

Diziet Sma likes this.