General art appreciation

Discussion in 'Other Media' started by Boreas, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Inspired by @Elvira's mediaeval iconography thread, here's one for general art.

Post art that you like with the artist's name and the work's title. At the very least, mention the artist's name if you can.

2. Boreas

"The Bride of the Wind" (1914) by Austrian expressionistic painter Oskar Kokoschka (1886-1980). An autobiographical self-portrait in tribute to his love affair with Alma Mahler, the widow of composer Gustav Mahler. I first learned of this piece in 1999 and, by coincidence, moved to Basel in 2000 for a period where I was able to appreciate the painting at the Kunstmuseum a number of times.

Kokoschka, Oskar - The Bride of the Wind, 1914.jpg

Diziet Sma likes this.
  3. Boreas

"Education" (1889-90) by American Art Nouveau artist and designer Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933), the son of Charles Lewis Tiffany who founded Tiffany & Co. This beautiful stained glass window personifies Art, Science, Religion and Music as angels. Other angelic beings representing values or ideas such as reverence and inspiration attend them. Installed at Yale University's Chittenden Hall (now Linsley-Chittenden Hall) in 1890.

Tiffany, Louis Comfort - Education, at Yale University 4.jpg

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful! Love Tiffany &Co ;) but wasn't aware of this branch of the family.
    My debility is Spanish Gothic stained glasses. In particular the Cathedral of León and Burgos. Here is an example of the central nave in León.

[​IMG]

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

I can imagine it would be quite awe inspiring to stand inside on a sunny day!

6. Boreas

Two illustrations by John Bauer (1882-1918) for the folktale "Oskuldens vandring" (trans. "Innocence Hiking") by Helena Nyblom. Collected in Bland tomtar och troll (trans. Among Gnomes and Trolls), a Swedish folklore and fairy tales annual anthology published between 1907 and 1915. This folktale was in the 1912 anthology.

"She kissed the bear on the nose."

Bauer, John - She Kissed the Bear on the Nose, 1912 (1.1).jpg

"The princess gave the eagle her petticoat as thanks for bringing her back home."

Bauer, John - She Gave the Eagle her Petticoat as thanks for Bringing her Home, 1912.jpg

Diziet Sma likes this.
  7. Diziet Sma

Beautiful!

8. Boreas

"The Beguiling of Merlin" (1872-77) by Edward Burne-Jones (1833-1898). I first come across this painting when I was 16 on the cover of A. S. Byatt's novel Possession (or romance, as she herself preferred to delineate). I bought the novel just for the cover. Never did read it. Have always meant to, and I'm now going to bump it up as a priority read.

I've always loved Nymue's expression on this one. I find it casual, unconcerned as she looks down upon a trapped Merlin, but there's also an outwardly gentle quality to the face. But again, I don't know if that calm expression truly comes from gentleness or a haughty sense of her own power.

Burne-Jones, Edward - The Beguiling of Merlin, 1972-77 (2).jpg

Diziet Sma likes this.
  9. Diziet Sma

I went back to the Kunsthaus this week end. Here you have a tiny sample...

Les Amoureux en Gris 1956-1960 Marc Chagall

[​IMG]

Giovanni Segantini La Vanità, La Fonte del Male 1897. Kunsthaus Zürich

[​IMG]

Sigmar Polke's ‏Levitation 2005

[​IMG]

Finally, Jack Gaugan for those who celebrate the 14 of February. Will you be my Valentine...?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

Very nice. I especially love the Segantini piece!

And Jack Gaughan did some pretty strange golden age SF covers, a few of them totally surreal. I've got a bunch of old paperbacks with his artwork, but the ones that come straight to mind are the covers to some Jack Vance books.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

Is there a way to post a picture, without having to download it to my computer, and then upload it to an intermediate webpage?

12. Boreas

I've been uploading pictures from my computer. But they always appear as thumbnails to those who are not logged on and can't be seen in full. I have no idea how @Elvira posts her pictures to have them appear in full size even when I'm logged off.

13. Diziet Sma

I use TinyPic app.
    http://tinypic.com/
    You simply allow them acces to your library, then upload the pic you want, copy link and paste it to the picture icon box, next to the smilies. If I can handle this, anyone can...

Boreas likes this.
  14. Boreas

"The Cave of the Storm Nymphs" (1903) by Sir Edward John Poynter (1836-1919). Three sirens frolic after having lured sailors to their deaths. This painting is in the private collection of Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber.

[​IMG]

Diziet Sma likes this.
  15. lucarel

lucarel New Member

Hey, do you happen to know the tale that relate these two painting? I know it's named Innocence Hiking but I can't find the story. Thank you for the share :)

16. Boreas

Well, both illustrations are for the same story, "Innocence Hiking". There are a number collections featuring Swedish folktales available on Amazon, so maybe you could try your luck there? I see one specifically with John Bauer illustrations that's simply titled Swedish Folk Tales (2004). It seems to have been reprinted as Swedish Fairy Tales (2015), but one of the reviewers says the illustrations have been reproduced with far lower quality, so probably best to stick with the 2004 edition.

17. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

You guys never seen Dejan Delics fan art for Malazan Book of the Fallen (and others)? Check out his Deviant Art page here:

He did all of my character sketches as well: http://bit.ly/28ZdlVr

18. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

The link took me to s Login page, not the DD fan art page.

19. Dtyler99

Dtyler99 Well-Known Member

Sorry. It's a free account sign up and Deviant Art is chock full of great stuff, but this is a direct link to Dejan's stuff on DA w/o login (or should be).

http://bit.ly/2rtIzyE

20. Diziet Sma

Thanks for the link, @Dtyler99!
    I have just found these two great artworks by RabidBlackDog:

Falling

[​IMG]

Deathbed Motel Drama. This might become my new avatar...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Dtyler99 likes this.