Funny SF

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by TomTB, Oct 2, 2016.

1. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I'm reading the Space Captain Smith books atm and am finding them SO funny. Can anyone list other humorous SF books?

(Other than Hitchhikers Guide....)

2. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I mentioned the Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison over on the 'short and sweet' thread you started. They're fun, adventurous parodies. You might also find Harrison's Bill, the Galactic Hero an interesting read since you already read Starship Troopers. It was written in reaction to the Heinlein novel and is a parody.

I can't really think of many laugh-out-loud funny science fiction novels. I don't think there are too many. You'll probably find more in the short story format. Robert Sheckley and R. A. Lafferty are both very funny and inventive and extremely underrated. There's also Laumer's various Retief stories that are great.

Neal Stephenson is very funny. His Snow Crash is pretty hilarious right from the beginning. If you like Terry Pratchett, then check out his Strata, which is the first version of Discworld that he envisioned in a science fictional context.

TomTB likes this.
  3. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

I adore Toby. He's so funny and so lovely. (I'm on another forum where he is a regular member, and he's also guested on my blog.).

Can't help with other funny recs other than Adams, though. Sorry.

Oh, actually, Lois McMaster Bujold's A Civil Campaign had me laughing out loud. A lot. All someone needs to say is bug butter and I'm off again.

TomTB likes this.