Forum Stealth Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boreas, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Is there a reason why so many of you choose stealth mode on the forums? I don't particularly see the point, so I'm curious as to why.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

What does "robot" mean?

3. Boreas

You mean on the forums? I think many of them might be spambots that are possibly being kept in check because of forum defences. I'm not sure about them all being potential spambots, though. But I think they are all automated programmes. I'm not exactly knowledgeable about this kind of stuff. @TomTB and @btkong will probably know more.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I think a lot of them are programmes that stem from search engines like Google, bing etc.

It's how they keep track of things on the old interweb ...

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

There's a number of spyware apps that track us all as we ply the internet.
    The other forum I occasionally visit has popup ads that play in the margins, and it's always interesting/troubling to see what ads are playing after I login... and they somehow know I'm in the market for a new rucksack, or earlier that day had been pricing auto insurance, and sure enough those type of ads are playing.
    Some of these robots are looking for keywords in the most active threads, and play the appropriate popup ads... there was one thread wherein the topic was costumes, and in particular corsets... the forum suddenly had all these corset and sexy underwear advertisements. Which wasn't so bad.

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  6. Diziet Sma

Well, I guess going trekking wearing a corset will definitely set a new trend in fashion... Don't forget your hair-band! ;):D

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

It's much easier to get me out of a corset, than to get me in one.;)

8. Diziet Sma

I deserve that... :)

9. kenubrion

kenubrion Well-Known Member

Boreas, how do you know who is lurking if we haven't signed in?

10. Boreas

I don't. I only know if we're both signed in.