Film Noir

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Can anybody recommend good, underrated noir films from the 1930s, 40s & 50s? Both American and European. Or even by Asian directors, if it's by someone other than Kurosawa.

I think most of the European ones should be French, though there should be some German ones, too, and maybe from other languages? I've seen some of Fritz Lang's films, and his M probably qualifies as noir.

2. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Full Member

Boreas likes this.
  3. Boreas

Thanks for the Louis Malle recommendation! Will check out Strangers on a Train as well since I've not seen many of Hitchcock's films aside from a few of his major releases.

4. Butch Meathook

Butch Meathook Full Member

Some of my favourites from this period:
    The Third Man, 1949, directed by Carol Reed (starring Orson Welles, and set in Vienna)
    The Killing, 1956, directed by Stanley Kubrick (his best early movie I think)
    The Big Sleep, 1946, directed by Howard Hawks - for me this is the ultimate noir film - the atmosphere, cinematography, the femme fatale, complex plot, narration - everything is there, and it is a pretty good movie

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud was alright, but I think from the French school Melville's later films are better.

Some later ones worth mentioning as well:
    Le cercle rouge and Le doulos, directed by Jean-Pierre Melville
    Chinatown, 1974, directed by Roman Polanski
    and there are of course many fine modern movies influenced by noir...

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

The Killing is one of my favourite Kubrick's (though there isn't a single Kubrick feature that isn't fabulous). I thought the cinematography of the film was beautiful and that classic climax scene as the camera pans across the room is fantastic!

Not seen any of the others, even though they're all classics and I know of them (except the French titles). Did you ever see Fritz Lang's Fury from the 1930's? One of the most impressive films I've seen and whilst not made during the period when noir was taking off as a definitive genre, it definitely ticked many of the boxes.

6. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

These are my suggestions for Noir movies. I have watched all of them several times, but I’m more than happy to do an encore
    Now, I’m working from home today, supposedly, to do some serious catching up: Fat chance…!
    • Double Indemnity (1944) by B. Wilder
    • The Big Sleep (1946) by H. Hawks
    • The Third Man (1949) by C. Reed
    • The Maltese Falcon (1941) J. Huston
    • Laura (1944) by O. Preminger
    • Out Of The Past (1947) by J. Tourneur.
    • Body Heat (1981) by L. Kasdan
    • Scarface (1983) B. de Palma

Boreas likes this.
  7. Boreas

I've already got Billy Wilder's Double Indemnity and would definitely want to watch that soon. I'm actually not as big a fan of Scarface as most. The only time I've found Al Pacino actually good has been in the three Godfather films. He wasn't bad in Heat, either. Otherwise, I find him crude and obnoxious in most roles I've seen him in. Now, Heat (1995) is a fantastic crime film that I'd be happy to watch again, too.

Any particular favourite from your list?

8. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

One of my favorites (if you ignore Fritz Lang's glut of films at the top of my list).
    Is a French film called "Les Samurai" from 1967.

It's a brilliant film the gets you from the very beginning, and despite having almost no dialogue it has a very clear and intricate plot.