Film Club

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Okay, Tom or I can do the linking, but feel free to start a discussion once you've watched it.

2. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys ... I'm really hoping to watch iceman tomorrow night, but would definitely love to watch Labyrinth again after :) (I own Labyrinth on betamax, vhs, dvd, bluray, and I have the soundtrack) :) :) :)

Elvira likes this.
  3. TomTB

I managed to watch half of iceman this evening, hopefully I'll watch the remainder tomorrow night.

Iceman is taking it all in his stride, which is quite amazing all things being considered. I don't think I'd handle the situation quite so well if I woke up and rather than it being 6.45 tomorrow morning, it was the year 42,016.

Elvira likes this.
  4. Boreas

@TomTB and @Elvira, do you guys want try to watch another film? I'm interested in watching a horror film, and I've found one that sounds really good and creepy: It follows by David Robert Mitchell from 2014. How about it?

5. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

Sure! Never heard of it though. Any chance you could share with me the file link...?:)

6. TomTB

Yes, that film sounds awesome! I don't think I've come across it before but it sounds right up my street!

7. Boreas

Great! I'll send you guys a link tomorrow. Really looking forward to watching this one!

TomTB likes this.
  8. Boreas

I've sent you both the link. I'll be watching it this weekend. Also, whenever any of you start a new discussion for the films we watch, please add the tag 'film club selection' in the tag field when starting the thread.

TomTB and Elvira like this.
  9. Boreas

10. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Well-Known Member

I'm game, I did this in college

Elvira, TomTB and Boreas like this.
  11. Boreas

Great! Do you want to join in for the horror film choice this time around (It Follows)? And if yes, can you watch the film by yourself or do you need a link?

Apropos, nice to see you here!

12. Bierschneeman

Yeah I need a link, (you have a different sn in BFB?)

13. Boreas

Check your mailbox. And "sn"?

14. Bierschneeman

Sn= screen name

15. Boreas

Same name. Different picture. Haven't logged on at BFB in many months now. Were you able to access the link?

16. Boreas

It Follows discussion thread.
    Could you not access the link?

@TomTB, @Elvira and others, I'm up for watching another movie soon. Was thinking about some choices and came up with three, none of which I've seen previously.

For science fiction, I was thinking of Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) by Joseph Sargent, and it's regarded as a high quality science fiction drama/thriller concerning the emerging sapience of a government defence network.

For drama, I had There Will Be Blood (2007) by Paul Thomas Anderson in mind. I saw the first twenty or thirty minutes of this film many years ago and was not able to finish the movie. I remember being totally absorbed in it, though. This is an historical drama telling of a fairly ruthless oilman and his endeavours to secure oil-laden land to make his fortune.

And finally, I've been wanting to get a move on with watching early noire films, and I thought the ones by Robert Wise would be a good place to start. I was thinking of his first noire feature, Born to Kill (1947), of which some critic at the time said, "...is an hour and a half of ostentatious vice," and "Surely, discriminating people are not likely to be attracted to this film. But it is precisely because it is designed to pander to the lower levels of taste that it is reprehensible."

Do any of these catch your interest?

17. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

Great three choices!
    I was going to dismiss There Will Be Blood as I don’t naturally lean towards dramas, but after looking this up, I must say it is really appealing. It reminds of a fabulous series, Dead Wood, I watched a couple of years ago.

The other two are also very interesting. Perhaps my second choice would be Colossus: The Forbin Project. Anyway, I'm easy...

Have any of you you watched The Andromeda Strain? I watched it when I was very young. I don’t remember much of it except it gave the heebie-jeebies during many nights.

18. Boreas

My memory of the first circa twenty minutes of There Will Be Blood was that it was very gripping, deliberate, methodical and intense. Daniel Day-Lewis is always excellent in all the roles I've ever seen him in.

Yeah, I've watched Wise's The Andromeda Strain and I consider it amongst the best science fiction films I've seen. I'd be happy to watch it again.

19. Elvira

Elvira Well-Known Member

Great! Let's wait for what Mr Tom has to say and maybe Mr Biersnowman would also like to join in.

20. TomTB

Hhmm.. choices choices. I've not seen any of them before.

Sorry but I don't think I could cope with a 1940s film. Colussus sounds interesting enough, but given the choice I'd go with There Will be Blood, and given I've read The Andromeda Strain recently and enjoyed it, that would be a thumbs up too :)