Film Club

Discussion in 'Film & TV' started by Boreas, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Just an idea, but is anyone interested in something akin to a book club but with films? We could choose a film, give ourselves some allotted time frame within which we should see it, and then chat a little bit about it before choosing the next film.

I'm totally flexible with what type of films we choose.

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Well-Known Member

3. Boreas

Cool, then how about you come up with a few options, and so will I plus whoever else wants to join in. Then we can come to some sort of consensus and watch a film. I'll think of some options for the next time I log on.

Diziet Sma likes this.
  4. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

Count me in :)

Just so you can gauge my tastes, I firmly believe that never will there be a better film than Jim Henson's Labyrinth.

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

Okay, I was initially going to come up with more than a couple of choices, but I thought it would be better to just put out one or maximum two suggestions. I'm currently in a science fiction mood, so they're both going to be SF films. Here's a brief synopsis for each film:

Iceman (1984) by Fred Schepisi. I've only seen a few scenes from it many years ago, but those few scenes were great. Scientists discover a caveman, revive him and attempt to study him. Supposed to be a moving film and also an intelligent one; meaning, it has a strong grounding on anthropological theories and is also well informed on biochemistry.

The Man from Earth
    (2007) by Robert Schenkman. This is a film I've already seen, but I really loved it at the time and would like to see it again. A bunch of university professors (across a diverse range of fields) who are friends get together for a farewell party for one of their faculty members. They spend their evening putting forth intellectual arguments (and counter-arguments) on a hypothetical scenario: what if you were a human immortal, and how could you have survived through thousands of years of human history?

6. Diziet Sma

7. Boreas

I'd be up for watching Agora. Have you already seen it?

The Man from Earth can be watched here: http://watchseries.gs/movies/the-man-from-earth#

Link 1 is higher quality, but you can't pause or skip. Any action will re-start the film from the beginning. Link will take you to a new page. Pressing play will first bring up a pop-up white box on which you press 'ok', then a new window will appear that you close. Then press play again to start the film.

Link 4 is lower quality, but you can pause and skip without the film restarting. You will probably have to close some pop-up windows before you can watch. If there is more than one 'x' to close something, the less obvious 'x' is usually the correct one to click.

Iceman can be watched here: http://www.123movies.am/play/249161

Press the small 'x' (could appear as slightly hidden or not), a new window will appear directly (or you might have to toggle (alt + tab) your windows to find it) which you close. Then you press the 'x' again and then press play. Might have to repeat the process two or three times before you're able to press play, and the pop-up window might also appear as a new tab. Quality isn't as high as it should be, but still watchable. Otherwise you have to download it from somewhere, or I can try uploading a higher quality file that I've got and sending you the link.

8. Diziet Sma

Thank you @Boreas for the links. Iceman really appeals to me although all the process and "X" pressing to get to watch it is a bit daunting. I'll try though!
    No, I haven't watched Agora and I have heard mixed comments from people who have. Some loved it, some others found it wishy-washy.
    @TomTB, do you have any films in mind?

9. TomTB

There's this great film called Labyrinth, maybe we can group watch that one? :D

But seriously, I'm easy. I don't watch many films any more, but I tend to go for horror/SF given the choice.

I should add, the time I get for doing stuff like film watching is quite diminished these days, but I'll try my best to squeeze one in when a decision is made :)

10. Boreas

Elvira, since you say Iceman already appeals to you and it's also one I haven't seen, then I'd prefer to watch that. What do you say Tom? I've sent both of you a link, so check your inbox.

Tom, I know I saw Labyrinth as a child, but I can hardly remember it. I'd definitely be up for watching that next or the one after next.

11. Boreas

So, @Elvira and @TomTB, which one do we want to watch first? Are we okay going with Iceman first, or do we go for either Agora or Labyrinth instead?

12. Diziet Sma

Shall we go for Iceman? I could watch it this week end...

13. Boreas

Yep, I'm all revved up for Iceman. I'll watch it this weekend, too. Hope it's good.

14. TomTB

Yup, I'm on it like a gin and tonic. Iceman it is.

15. Boreas

16. Diziet Sma

Labyrinth?

17. Boreas

@TomTB, Labyrinth?

I'm up for watching it in the next few days or do we need more time?

18. Diziet Sma

I could watch it over the week-end.

19. Boreas

Okay, I'll try to this weekend, too. I'll have it watched latest by Wednesday. If you end up watching it first, then go ahead and start a new topic for the film, but leave a link here to the discussion thread.

20. Diziet Sma

I'll wait for you to do that, if you don't mind... or maybe @TomTB could link whatever needs linking.:)