Figit Spinners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Safari Bob, May 25, 2017.

Tags:
?

Do you have a Figit?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. TACOS!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Safari Bob

Safari Bob Well-Known Member

My kids (12 and 14) are crazy over these figit spinners. Do you use them? What do you think of them?

2. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

They are everywhere over here. My kids don't play with them but we were discussing at work whether to allow them in our 1/1 sessions with our students with ADHD and those within the autism spectrum. We shall see...

Safari Bob likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

I understood "figit" and "spinner" separately, but I had to look it up to understand what it meant together! Don't use a figit spinner, but I'd like to try them out.

I used to have one of those squeeze balls when I was at university for stress relief. And it was useful for alleviating finger/wrist pain from prolonged typing.

Safari Bob likes this.
  4. Safari Bob

@Diziet Sma One local doctor is trying to get folks to call them "tools" instead of "toys". Teachers, on the other hand, seem to hate them.

@Boreas I have some ulna nerve damage in an arm and my Physical Therapist suggested I try it to help with recovering dexterity. So I am giving it a try.

5. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Administrator Staff Member

We use many toys to assist kids to refocus on their task and it does work. However, the teacher/therapist must be in control. It seems an obvious statement, but often it isn't the case.
    As a toy/reinforcer, these fidget spinners could definitely work for kids within the spectrum, I have no doubt about it.

Those squeeze balls can do wonders, just persevere.

jo zebedee likes this.
  6. TomTB

TomTB Administrator Staff Member

I heard the woman who designed it couldn't afford to patent it.

Oops...

7. Safari Bob

Today, I was cool for about 30 seconds. I was out and saw a mother and her son; the son was bored stiff and started working his Figit. He looked up at me and I took mine out, gave it a few spins, and was rewarded with a weak smile and a whispered, "Cool." The mother didn't even look up from her iPhone.

So there you have it: I was "cool". What have YOU done today? LOL!

Diziet Sma and Boreas like this.
  8. Boreas

Boreas n log(log n) Staff Member

Are these things all the rage now? I hadn't even heard of a "fidgit spinner" until you mentioned it.

9. Safari Bob

They are like Rubik's Cube when I was in high school.

10. Safari Bob

Saturday, I went to a local flea market (an adventure in itself) and I saw they were selling Figit Spinners for $12 that functioned as Blue Tooth speakers:
    [​IMG]

Diziet Sma likes this.
  11. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Well-Known Member

My kids aren't interested. Not even the one with ASD. In fact, esp not her. :)